Everything is big on screen

I recently had a crash of my emachines. We installed
Windows XP Professional instead of using what came with
our computer. Now we can not get the resolution slide bar
to move and the computer is not recognizing our monitor.
We can not fit everything on the monitor when a page is
loaded because of the resolution. We can go to the start
menu and get to the screen where we are supposed to
beable to click on the properties button but it won't let
us. How do we change the resolution?

Install the video drivers.