Huge problem with heatsink and new GPU?

ryanrhino24

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Hello, I built my gaming rig a while ago, and i just upgraded to a geforce gtx 460. First off, the thing is huge, and my heatsink power wire wont connect to the plug on the motherboard because of this? So I cant reach my heatsink 3 pin power connector.

Next, this card says it requires those 6 pin connectors from my psu or auxiliary power. I have the BIOSTAR A780L3G Mobo, and the DiabloTek PSDA400 DA Series 400-Watt . I cant find the 6 pin connector for the gpu I need? Help anyone?

Solution

Should be fine. Just make sure it's a decent quality unit and not trash like that DiabloTek, lol.
I don't completely understand what you mean by the heatsink power wire for the GPU. It shouldn't even have one.

As far as the PCIe power connectors go, you PSU doesn't have any (although there are adapters you can use), and regardless, it's NOT a very good PSU. I HIGHLY recommend upgrading the PSU.

A GTX 460 requires a minimum of a 450W PSU. 400W might get by, but not THAT 400W unit.

I don't understand that though. The heatsink (assuming you're taking about the CPU heatsink) isn't anywhere near the GPU and the fan header should be right next to the CPU socket. How can it not reach?

Should be fine. Just make sure it's a decent quality unit and not trash like that DiabloTek, lol.

Solution