Sign in with
Your question

Will this build work as intended?

Last response: in Systems
February 29, 2012 11:50:27 PM

Hey guys I'm looking at building a new pc with some of my old computer parts. I'm currently running a AMD 1090T 6 core, gigabyte 560gtx TI, 8gb corsair ram, 620W PSU all on a gigabyte ATI Mini ATX motherboard.

The build I'm looking towards making is switching over the motherboard to a Gigabyte 990FXA-D3 which has been donated by a friend and going SLI with the 560gtxs.I plan on Dumping them in a Fractal designs case. My main question here is will the 560s run nicely in sli with the AMD board and 1090T processor?

My main concern with this build is that recently I've upgraded my current systems GPU from a very old Radeon 4850 to the gtx560 TI and I've noticed its been crashing a considerable amount in battlefield 3. Now at first I assumed it to be software related but a friend raised a point that maybe it wasn't enjoying running along side all the AMD gear. Or maybe its even a specific motherboard issue .At this point I'm worried that when I do upgrade I might be throwing away a few hundred dollars if it continues to just crash Battlefield 3 to the desktop. Would really appreciate some thoughts and opinions.

More about : build work intended

March 1, 2012 12:09:56 AM

there is no reason to think the nvidia card "doesn't like" an AMD CPU/board. that's not how it works. you may not have removed the AMD GPU drivers from the 4850, you may have heat or power issues with the nvidia card or it may be defective. if you are using an.OEM version of windows 7 you will have to buy a new one if you change the motherboard
m
l
March 1, 2012 12:46:29 AM

Quote:
The build I'm looking towards making is switching over the motherboard to a Gigabyte 990FXA-D3 which has been donated by a friend and going SLI with the 560gtxs.I plan on Dumping them in a Fractal designs case. My main question here is will the 560s run nicely in sli with the AMD board and 1090T processor?

The Fractal Design case should fit that card with no problems. I have that exact same board - it's been great so far - problem free.

Quote:
there is no reason to think the nvidia card "doesn't like" an AMD CPU/board. that's not how it works. you may not have removed the AMD GPU drivers from the 4850, you may have heat or power issues with the nvidia card or it may be defective. if you are using an.OEM version of windows 7 you will have to buy a new one if you change the motherboard

I agree with this for the most part - GPUs are not CPU specific. But if it's crashing it sounds like a driver issue or an issue with your Windows installation than it does a defective card or a PSU overheating issue. Anytime you install new hardware you have to uninstall the old drivers or you'll face issues with Windows BSOD'ing every single time.

Quote:
At this point I'm worried that when I do upgrade I might be throwing away a few hundred dollars if it continues to just crash Battlefield 3 to the desktop. Would really appreciate some thoughts and opinions.

You should do a clean install of Windows - you will have to do that each time you install a new motherboard. You won't necessarily have to do that with a new video card if you delete the drivers ahead of time. I'm thinking it's a problem with your Windows installation than anything else.
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2012 12:50:34 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm thinking that the issue might be with the drivers as you have stated. I downloaded the new nvidia ones before deleting all the old radeon ones so maybe a screw up there. I'll try a fresh install of windows later today aswell and see how that goes. When switching over to the new motherboard, will I have to buy a completely new copy of windows or can i switch my hard drive over and just do a fresh install?
m
l
March 1, 2012 4:07:43 AM

Raggamuffin said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm thinking that the issue might be with the drivers as you have stated. I downloaded the new nvidia ones before deleting all the old radeon ones so maybe a screw up there. I'll try a fresh install of windows later today aswell and see how that goes. When switching over to the new motherboard, will I have to buy a completely new copy of windows or can i switch my hard drive over and just do a fresh install?

No - you can reuse your existing copy and do a fresh installation. You might experience a problem with Windows Activation Service but it's nothing to really be concerned about.
m
l
!