Sign in with
Your question

Mouse makes cpu do weird stuff

Last response: in Components
June 16, 2012 8:30:50 PM

Hello,
ok i have an issue where moving mouse with a browser open is causing jumbled sound/scratching in speakers, whats weird about it is in task manage when i move cursor around sites tthe cpu usage jumps way up to near 90-100% any ideas?
June 17, 2012 3:57:13 PM

I'll give that a shot but i just recently used TFC temp file cleaner by old timer which looks like it does the same as CC cleaner?
m
l
Related resources
a c 330 à CPUs
June 17, 2012 6:24:54 PM

merlinm21 said:
I'll give that a shot but i just recently used TFC temp file cleaner by old timer which looks like it does the same as CC cleaner?

from what I've read of Temp File Cleaner, CCleaner does that and much more.
m
l
June 25, 2012 1:38:01 AM

clutchc said:
from what I've read of Temp File Cleaner, CCleaner does that and much more.

ok i ran ccleaner and it did noit resolve the problem

firefox still showing huge jumps in cpu usage when moving cursor around
and youtube videos or any video format for that matter when i move cursor around makes the videos freeze,jumpy and the audio sounds warbled and jumpy

also this happens in internet explorer also and i downloaded google chrome which i have never used before and it happens there too so this is very odd.

video and audio in winamp,windows media player and other programs works fine without this distortion
m
l
a c 330 à CPUs
June 25, 2012 1:57:39 AM

Does this happen in IE also?
Are you using the built-in Windows mouse driver or a 3rd party mouse driver, like logitech?
Have you tried a different mouse?
m
l
June 25, 2012 2:31:00 AM

clutchc said:
Does this happen in IE also?
Are you using the built-in Windows mouse driver or a 3rd party mouse driver, like logitech?
Have you tried a different mouse?

im using a micro innovations optical mouse im not sure which driver it is using?

in device mngr its listed as just ps/2 compatible mouse and driver details say microsoft

i8042prt.sys
mousclass.sys is what driver details show
m
l
a c 330 à CPUs
June 25, 2012 2:33:38 AM

merlinm21 said:
im using a micro innovations optical mouse im not sure which driver it is using?

in device mngr its listed as just ps/2 compatible mouse and driver details say microsoft

i8042prt.sys
mousclass.sys is what driver details show

If you've never ever installed a driver for the mouse, chances are it's using the default Windows driver. Is there any way you can test the system with a different mouse?
m
l
June 25, 2012 2:37:22 AM

clutchc said:
If you've never ever installed a driver for the mouse, chances are it's using the default Windows driver. Is there any way you can test the system with a different mouse?

yeah i think i can find another mouse to try out

also forgot one of your ?'s yes it happens in IE also as well as google chrome
m
l
June 25, 2012 2:51:20 AM

ok i plugged in another ps/2 optical mouse and nothing changed

m
l
June 25, 2012 2:59:58 AM

well this is just strange cooincidence or related? after i put the new mouse in and started up pc
microsoft security essentials threw some error that it shut down and needs to restart so i did that and then got a blue screen of death with the message (an attempt was made to write to read-only memory
m
l
a c 330 à CPUs
June 25, 2012 3:48:25 AM

Hmmm... Have you run a virus scan lately? Also, run a malware pgm like the free Malwarebytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/ We need to eliminate registry errors (CCleaner) and Virus/malware issues. (you may have to do it from safe mode if it keeps BSODing)
Then, put your old mouse back in and see if the BSOD is still there. If it is, your problem may be hardware related. But before we go that far, you may want to do a fresh install of Windows. I know... painful.
m
l
June 25, 2012 4:01:53 AM

no more bsod i think it was just some random crash and not related.

on reinstalling windows, my hard drive failed and i had to put in a new one so this is a fresh install and i had the same problem on other hard drive so doubt its anything with that
i have scanned with microsoft security essentials,housecall,and one other i found suggested on here and no virus/spyware or anything detected.

i ran ccleaner and malewarebytes too

im not sure the problem is even related to the mouse because moving mouse and other actions while audio/video is playing in winamp or media player i have no distortion or stuttering

im wondering if maybe my cpu is just old and slow especially running a gt545 graphics card which is kinda new compared to my 7 year old pc

i dont have any old lower end graphics cards to test this so im out of luck there lol but i am going to try to use some older graphics drivers to see if it stops happening because when i first got this card i didnt have this problem

oh and one more thing when i was putting mouse in the mouse wire hit my audio wire and made some scratching and popping noises in speakers and on further inspection the cable is fine but the part that goes into the sound out jack seems like the jack is bad maybe? i disconnected the sound wire and used a different one and its still doing that so i think my onboard sound jacks/connector is going.

again i dont have a sound card to test this either so is there some kinda diagnostic program to test onboard sound? all i can find is audio tests which pass but doesnt look for physical problems with the hardware part
m
l
a c 330 à CPUs
June 27, 2012 3:20:45 PM

I doubt the CPU would be the problem. It's possible the sound card could be causing issues, though. Do you have on-board audio that you could use and remove the sound card? If so, uninstall the sound driver first.

I'm not sure what to make of your 'mouse wire' and 'audio wire' comment. Are you talking about the connectors touching something they were not suppose to? Or is the cable showing exposed wires?
m
l
June 27, 2012 4:35:16 PM

clutchc said:
I doubt the CPU would be the problem. It's possible the sound card could be causing issues, though. Do you have on-board audio that you could use and remove the sound card? If so, uninstall the sound driver first.

I'm not sure what to make of your 'mouse wire' and 'audio wire' comment. Are you talking about the connectors touching something they were not suppose to? Or is the cable showing exposed wires?

no i mean the out-speaker jack for the on board sound the solid end of the audio wire just moving in the jack sounds all static/popping sounds it did this with a new audio wire too so its the jack not the wire

i only have on board sound i have no sound card

this is the board i have with on board audio http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

as you can see its pretty old,out of stock,
m
l
a c 330 à CPUs
June 27, 2012 5:12:32 PM

If the audio jack has intermittent contact issues; arcing, poor contact, etc, that could very well be causing the mouse to act erratic. Does the mouse behave normally if you remove the speaker cable from the jack? Take it out for a test. You may have to uninstall the audio driver, too.
m
l
July 9, 2012 8:45:46 PM

sorry for the long delay i have been looking into some things and i think my problem has something to do with adobe flash
m
l
July 9, 2012 8:51:29 PM

this is video info from youtube with flash plugin enabled showing lots of dropped frames
‎640x360, 771 average kbps, 100% volume
TagStreamPlayer, HTTP, 0 kbps
10 stage fps, 24 video fps, 2538 dropped, 0 kbps
software video rendering, accelerated video decoding
NaN db, 1 audio factor

i disabled the plugin and ran the video under HTML5 and here is same video info showing no dropped frames and theres no audio or cpu problems

ok when i post its changing spots but the dropped frames is listed as -

Video ID: 2MH1UaPIEgA
Dimensions: 587x330
Volume: 100%
Stream Type: http

Decoded Frames Dropped Frames Parsed Frames Presented Frames
309 - 309 298
Video Bytes Decoded Audio Bytes Decoded Painted Frames Paint Delay
- - 293 -
m
l
!