Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Why does a bottleneck slow down the entire PC

Last response: in CPUs
June 16, 2012 8:32:11 PM

Hi guys. I want to know why does the entire PC work slower when it has a bottleneck like a athlon II X3 445 and a Radeon HD 6850. I'm asking this because i'm confused about why would a CPU work slower if i upgrade my GPU. Now i know some will say i have a bad PSU but its enough to say Corsair PSU brand and none of you will say that haha (i have a Corsair CX500).

More about : bottleneck slow entire

Best solution

a c 309 à CPUs
June 16, 2012 8:41:25 PM

It shouldn't. Your 'slowdown' is probably caused by other factors. Many folks let their machines get cluttered with resource wasting garbage and registry errors. Spam and malware. Be sure you have a good virus pgm running in the background, and occasionally run a pgm like Malwarebytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

To Clean your system, run a pgm like CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry both: http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER
And don't have a bunch of needless pgms running in the background.

The Athlon II X3 445 and the HD 6850 is a relatively balanced combo. The CPU shouldn't be much of a bottleneck for the GPU in most games.
June 16, 2012 8:45:13 PM

Your CPU shouldn't work slower with a better GPU. If it's actually slowing down, that means your computer doesn't have enough ventilation and the CPU is throttling to prevent overheat.

A bad PSU wouldn't slow down your GPU. It would crash the computer upon heavy load.
m
l
Related resources
June 16, 2012 8:55:07 PM

clutchc said:
It shouldn't. Your 'slowdown' is probably caused by other factors. Many folks let their machines get cluttered with resource wasting garbage and registry errors. Spam and malware. Be sure you have a good virus pgm running in the background, and occasionally run a pgm like Malwarebytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

To Clean your system, run a pgm like CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry both: http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

The Athlon II X3 445 and the HD 6850 is a relatively balanced combo. The CPU shouldn't be much of a bottleneck for the GPU in most games.

So far i need another upgrade. The athlon II isn't strong enough but i didn't get the answer i wanted. I asked why is for example GTA 4 now totally unplayable but when i had the GT 240 it worked good at very high settings and resolution 1600x900. but with the 6850 not even at 800x600 and low settings is playable. I know gta 4 is an intensive game but why is it unplayable with a lot more powerful GPU
m
l
a c 309 à CPUs
June 16, 2012 9:06:50 PM

It's hard to say from afar. I gave you several reasons. There could be others. But it's not because the Athlon II X3 445 or the HD 6850 is at fault. I recently built a budget gamer with an Athlon II X3 455 and that card. At 1680x1050 it handled everything with high frame rates at near max settings. The new owner is very happy.

Did you uninstall the Nvidia drivers, run Driver Sweeper from Safe Mode to remove remnants of the drivers the uninstall failed to find? Then clean your system as above before installing the AMD drivers?
m
l
June 16, 2012 9:11:12 PM

A Bad Day said:
Your CPU shouldn't work slower with a better GPU. If it's actually slowing down, that means your computer doesn't have enough ventilation and the CPU is throttling to prevent overheat.

A bad PSU wouldn't slow down your GPU. It would crash the computer upon heavy load.

Yeah uhm that could be the reason lol I noticed every since i got the 6850 the CPU cooler in almost all games was loud. With the old GT 240 it was quiet. So i need to buy some cpu fans for the case but i'm so poor i can't even afford a 80mm fan :(  also no dead PSU's laying around keep looking lol Just joking about the so poor part but i'm saving for a MSI 870S-C45 mobo and my current motherboard has only 1 system fan header so i don't think it would do much
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 16, 2012 9:13:17 PM

Hi :) 

What people above are saying ..is that there is NOTHING wrong with your cpu or card....

You have another problem slowing down your machine...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
June 16, 2012 9:17:23 PM

clutchc said:
It's hard to say from afar. I gave you several reasons. There could be others. But it's not because the Athlon II X3 445 or the HD 6850 is at fault. I recently built a budget gamer with an Athlon II X3 455 and that card. At 1680x1050 it handled everything with high frame rates at near max settings. The new owner is very happy.

Did you uninstall the Nvidia drivers, run Driver Sweeper from Safe Mode to remove remnants of the drivers the uninstall failed to find? Then clean your system as above before installing the AMD drivers?

Since i bought the 6850 i reinstalled my OS 3 times and i already know i have to remove the nvidia drivers before i put the 6850 in. Although i don't like playing in anything les than 1920x1080 because its blury. I also did an additional malware scan with the program you sent me and it didn't find anything. I use CCleaner frequently so its good.
m
l
June 16, 2012 9:21:47 PM

Lazar_99 said:
Yeah uhm that could be the reason lol I noticed every since i got the 6850 the CPU cooler in almost all games was loud. With the old GT 240 it was quiet. So i need to buy some cpu fans for the case but i'm so poor i can't even afford a 80mm fan :(  also no dead PSU's laying around keep looking lol Just joking about the so poor part but i'm saving for a MSI 870S-C45 mobo and my current motherboard has only 1 system fan header so i don't think it would do much

Do you have any AC floor fans? You could build a funnel out of paper and tape into one of the available ventilation holes to boost intake or exhaust. If that's too much work, then the funnel can simply cover the front or rear side of the case.

I wouldn't recommend removing the side panel and taping the AC fan to the case as it will disrupt the airflow.

If you don't have any AC floor fans, then you can try undervolting the GPU and CPU to reduce heat output. If all else fails, then you might have to underclock them.
m
l
June 16, 2012 9:25:59 PM

A Bad Day said:
Do you have any AC floor fans? You could build a funnel out of paper and tape into one of the available ventilation holes to boost intake or exhaust. If that's too much work, then the funnel can simply cover the front or rear side of the case.

I wouldn't recommend removing the side panel and taping the AC fan to the case as it will disrupt the airflow.

If you don't have any AC floor fans, then you can try undervolting the GPU and CPU to reduce heat output. If all else fails, then you might have to underclock them.

Though my CPU temp never reaches 50 degrees the cpu fan is even loud when the temp is on 28 degrees
m
l
June 17, 2012 7:35:31 AM

Basically the cpu cannot use all of the gpu's power, which is why it is bottlenecking, if you wanted to know about bottlenecking.

BUT, that is if a cpu were bottlenecking your gpu. I don't think your cpu is bottlenecking it, it is probably other things, maybe low voltage or you downclocked your gpu and you have bad performance from the gpu.

edit:nvm psu is fine at 500 watts
m
l
June 17, 2012 8:33:12 AM

clutchc said:

Well that combo can run all new games on max like dirt 3, bf3, nfs the run,CoD MW3 but i don't play any of those games. I only play GTA 4 through hamachi with my friend and sometimes left 4 dead 2. I'd hate to downgrade but maybe i can see if i run at 1280x720 if it solves the prob. And i want to record gameplay and make videos so i can't even do that on the 6850 because when i try to record with fraps my PC now lags to the verge of death which didn't happen with the GT 240. I probably should have bought the GTX 460.
m
l
June 17, 2012 10:27:03 AM

Quote:

I agree with that, most times ive seen a slow PC it has been a build up of crap on the system, Norton was famous for it I don't know if it is still the same.
m
l
June 17, 2012 10:38:01 AM

udg said:
Quote:

I agree with that, most times ive seen a slow PC it has been a build up of crap on the system, Norton was famous for it I don't know if it is still the same.

I have ESET Nod32 anti virus. Its not slowing down my PC and all new games run great maxed out but i don't need any of them. I only play GTA 4 lan and l4d2 with my friend. Now i can't play GTA 4 because i get random chopping and skipping while playing.
m
l
June 25, 2012 6:58:50 AM

Lazar_99 said:
I have ESET Nod32 anti virus. Its not slowing down my PC and all new games run great maxed out but i don't need any of them. I only play GTA 4 lan and l4d2 with my friend. Now i can't play GTA 4 because i get random chopping and skipping while playing.

Seems like a graphics card driver problem to me. Are all graphics drivers updated? You did uninstall the drivers of the previous graphics card right?

Re-install windows and start fresh to see what happens. Maybe a new driver could have messed you up too.
m
l
June 25, 2012 10:02:55 AM

mazchazo said:
Seems like a graphics card driver problem to me. Are all graphics drivers updated? You did uninstall the drivers of the previous graphics card right?

Re-install windows and start fresh to see what happens. Maybe a new driver could have messed you up too.

I did. When i bought this card i reinstalled my OS. I always keep my drivers up to date. I don't know i'm not satisfied with this CPU, planing on upgrading to a phenom II X4 965 BE
m
l
June 26, 2012 9:34:57 AM

Lazar_99 said:
I did. When i bought this card i reinstalled my OS. I always keep my drivers up to date. I don't know i'm not satisfied with this CPU, planing on upgrading to a phenom II X4 965 BE

Either way if it fixes your problem or not, it's a really good upgrade, I recommend it. I think the problem will still exist. Your graphics card also might need to be RMAed since your graphics card seems broken, since you properly got the drivers.

I'd contact the manufacturer of your graphics card through forums, they know best.
m
l
July 3, 2012 7:34:24 AM

mazchazo said:
Either way if it fixes your problem or not, it's a really good upgrade, I recommend it. I think the problem will still exist. Your graphics card also might need to be RMAed since your graphics card seems broken, since you properly got the drivers.

I'd contact the manufacturer of your graphics card through forums, they know best.

Oh i definitely doubt that. I played BF3 on 1080p and ultra settings without AA and it ran fine, so did dirt 3 maxed out and need for speed the run. In fact all games work fine except GTA 4 which i need the most. Will i get rid of the bottleneck with a bulldozer eight core CPU?
m
l
July 10, 2012 12:13:45 AM

Best answer selected by Lazar_99.
m
l
!