Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Connection
  • Fan
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 1, 2012 1:34:14 AM

Hi guys

I did it! I think I have burned my PSU. What I did I disconnected my PSU's fan from the mobo, while the pc was turned on, and then I tried to reconnect it. But I messed up the pins and connected the fan one pin further. It automatically generated smoke and the PSU' s fan wire is burned. (there was an awful smell btw) Anw I immediately switched off the PSU and the plug. When I turned my pc on it started normally, but my voltage reading on the PSU keeps changing like crazy..! Is it due to the damaged PSU? Is there any chance that something else has been damaged as well??

Cheers guys!!

More about : assistance

a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2012 1:40:56 AM

You likely damaged the PSU and possibly the motherboard (where the power connector is). The lesson here....never play with stuff when the system is powered on.....Never.
March 1, 2012 1:45:52 AM

I have learned my lesson very very well. How can I check what is damaged?
Related resources
March 1, 2012 1:46:16 AM

clip the fan wire on the psu side of the burning and ensure it isnt ground out there.
March 1, 2012 1:48:33 AM

guavasauce said:
clip the fan wire on the psu side of the burning and ensure it isnt ground out there.

what do you mean? cheers
March 1, 2012 2:03:43 AM

you know what, that doesnt make any sense does it.....

but bllowing a fan wire should have affected your psu too much. especially from the mobo header.

what was the meter showing before?
March 1, 2012 2:14:09 AM

as far as i remember it was around 140 now it goes 160-180-206-140 (keeps going like crazy).

P.S I have taken my mobo out and mothing seems to be damaged on it
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2012 2:47:47 AM

If you actually blew the wire that controlled your PSU's fan, then I'd chuck that power supply, since you've destroyed part of its colling mechanism. (This is rare though; most PSUs these days ought to have self-contained fans that don't need to be plugged into the motherboard).

If it's just a regular case fan that was plugged into the connector labeled "PWR_FAN," then maybe you got lucky and only blew that fan. But it could've also ruined the connector on the mobo.

The fact that your system still works is a good sign. But that move was about the #1 no-no when working with computers.
March 1, 2012 2:56:58 AM

capt_taco said:
If you actually blew the wire that controlled your PSU's fan, then I'd chuck that power supply, since you've destroyed part of its colling mechanism. (This is rare though; most PSUs these days ought to have self-contained fans that don't need to be plugged into the motherboard).

If it's just a regular case fan that was plugged into the connector labeled "PWR_FAN," then maybe you got lucky and only blew that fan. But it could've also ruined the connector on the mobo.

The fact that your system still works is a good sign. But that move was about the #1 no-no when working with computers.

If the mobo's header was damaged, would I be able to see any signs on the mobo? Because I took the mobo out and it has no signs of damage on neither of its sides
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2012 3:15:53 AM

Gate9er said:
If the mobo's header was damaged, would I be able to see any signs on the mobo? Because I took the mobo out and it has no signs of damage on neither of its sides

Maybe, maybe not. A bunch of black burn marks would be a good indicator, but a lot of the time if components are fried, they're just fried and there's no visual difference. If you really want to test it out, take a cheap case fan that you could live without, and hook it up to that header. If it doesn't spin or spins erratically, the header is toast.
March 1, 2012 3:24:19 AM

capt_taco said:
Maybe, maybe not. A bunch of black burn marks would be a good indicator, but a lot of the time if components are fried, they're just fried and there's no visual difference. If you really want to test it out, take a cheap case fan that you could live without, and hook it up to that header. If it doesn't spin or spins erratically, the header is toast.

Well when I turned on my pc after the incident, I can say that the system's fans were spinning quite extremely. Is it because of the faulted PSU? Also what about the power reading going crazy?
!