Problem with Windows 7 Installation

karmaphase

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I have a brand new rig, and am currently trying to install windows 7 Ultimate.
My specs are:

Sabertooth 990fx
Corsair Vengeance 1600 8gb (2 x 4gb)
750 Watt PSU from Fatality series
AMD phenom II x4 Black edition 965 3.4ghz
Geforce GTX 560
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 500gb hard drive

This is a brand new clean install. It gets past "Windows is loading files" and then at the Black screen with the Windows Logo and "Starting Windows" it starts to have problems. The logo will glow/fade for about 5 minutes, and then freezes at the fade position. I have tried waiting it out, but have had no luck. Anyone know how one might go about fixing this? Thanks in advance! I'm pretty sure the Installation disc is fine because I just tried it on an older computer a couple hours ago.

karmaphase

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I know it is not a hard drive error because I have tried 2 different hard drives and had the same results. On another forum, it was a hardware conflict related to the power supply. However I've seen people with similar builds running their OS fine. Tomorrow I will try windows XP. In the mean time, does anyone see anything that I might be doing wrong?

D

Deleted member 217926

Try with a single stick of RAM. This sounds like a memory error to me. Have you set the voltages and timings is BIOS?

Have you overclocked anything?

Can you try another power supply? A bad PSU could also cause the problem.

Try another SATA port. Could be a bad SATA port/controller.

karmaphase

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks for the input anort3.

I've tried different sticks of ram, as well as just using 1 stick, putting it into different slots, etc. Didn't affect it. I have never touched the RAM voltage/timing settings. It's supposed to run at 1600 however the motherboard is running it at 1333. I have not overclocked anything. All parts were brand new, and i had just put everything together and tried to install. As for sata ports, I've tried moving my devices around into all the different ports.

However I have one question that doesn't have to do with the original post. My motherboard has 6 SATA ports that run at 6gb/s and 2 SATA ports that run at 3gb/s. When I plug my CD drive into the 6gb/s ones, it doesn't detect it. However, when I plug it into the 3gb/s ones, it detects it just fine. Is that normal? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 217926

Are your SATA ports set to AHCI/IDE in BIOS?

I have seen issues with some SATA controllers not seeing DVD drives but those are the AMD SB ports and it should work fine. Have you got another DVD drive to test with? Could be a bad drive.

karmaphase

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
anort3, I can only choose 1 of the 3: AHCI, IDE, RAID. I have tried setting to all 3, even though RAID wouldn't really work with my 1 hard drive. I do not have another DVD drive, but I will go to the store and try to buy another one.

Brett, yes it is a genuine DVD with the windows logo hologrammed. I also tried Windows XP which got stuck at the "Setup is Starting Windows" screen. Sigh

Thanks for the help guys

D

Deleted member 217926

Right, what I meant by that is the controller was in one of those 2 modes and did not have RAID selected although it should have asked for drivers if it was. AHCI is where it should be for best performance.

You know you can install Windows 7 from a thumb drive right? That would rule out a bad optical drive if getting a new one is a problem.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/install-windows-7-with-a-usb-memory-key

TRENDING THREADS