Canon 20d Lenses and DOF?

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 2, 2005 1:45:13 PM

Ok, call me a semi-pro film photographer.. I go for the frills and to
a point dont care how something works.. But how in the heck am I
supposed to take my hyperfocal landscapes when there aint no dang DOF
meter on the lenses?

Sure I can guess, but what is the fun and sharpness in that?

Am I doomed to measure out and mark the lens myself? All I have is my
mm zoom levels. Camera can provide my exact zoom and aperture... Only
thing I need is my focus distance.

Thanks for any insight!
Ivan

More about : canon 20d lenses dof

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:57:15 PM

livan44@hotmail.com wrote:
> Ok, call me a semi-pro film photographer.. I go for the frills and to
> a point dont care how something works.. But how in the heck am I
> supposed to take my hyperfocal landscapes when there aint no dang DOF
> meter on the lenses?

There are a number of DoF and hyperfocal distance calculators
available, and many will allow you to print out an easy-to-reference
table that you can stick into your camera back and pull out as
required. One example is:

http://dfleming.ameranet.com/

David
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 6:41:36 PM

"But how in the heck am I
supposed to take my hyperfocal landscapes when there aint no dang DOF
meter on the lenses?"

Maybe I never looked closely enough at lenses. What would the DOF
meter be? Is it common?
June 3, 2005 1:58:05 PM

James Of Tucson wrote:
> "But how in the heck am I
> supposed to take my hyperfocal landscapes when there aint no dang DOF
> meter on the lenses?"
>
> Maybe I never looked closely enough at lenses. What would the DOF
> meter be? Is it common?

Little lines on either side of the main focus point - may be in different
colours for f/8, f/16 etc.

David
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 12:52:48 AM

livan44@hotmail.com wrote:

> Ok, call me a semi-pro film photographer.. I go for the frills and to
> a point dont care how something works.. But how in the heck am I
> supposed to take my hyperfocal landscapes when there aint no dang DOF
> meter on the lenses?
>
> Sure I can guess, but what is the fun and sharpness in that?
>
> Am I doomed to measure out and mark the lens myself? All I have is my
> mm zoom levels. Camera can provide my exact zoom and aperture... Only
> thing I need is my focus distance.
>
> Thanks for any insight!
> Ivan

Some digital and film cameras have a depth of field mode.
In this mode, you focus on the near point, then the far point,
the camera calculates the best focal point and f/stop.
Depending on your standards, and film or digital ISO speed,
you may want to stop down one or two more stops.
I do the hyperfocal points, let the camera set the focus and f/stop,
then I switch to manual focus and aperture priority, close
the f/stop down more, compose, and frame away.

Roger
!