Grounding myself while building

Koyanti

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
New at this... Would I technically be grounded if I had bare feet touching the case of another computer that I had on while I was working?

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
All you have to do is touch the case every now and again or something metal around you. Don't build on a rug or you run a higher chance of static electricity. Another thing that helps is to not wear to much clothes. Do your build in your underwear or naked. Sounds a little weird but alot of people seem to reccomended it. Just think of it as a bonding moment between you and your new computer. Worse comes to work you could always spend 10 bucks and get a grounding strap if your still worried.

Koyanti

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
While I have seen many times to touch your case a lot I was wondering if proposed solution would in effect ground you because there is a direct path for electricity to flow. Thank you for the comment though.

Leon Hart

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Well, in order to ground yourself while working on a computer to prevent static electricity damages your computer is you have to constantly touch the metal part of your computer case (have to be bare metal, coated paint won't do). AND your case must be connected to a grounded outlet, otherwise it will not work.

In order to do ground yourself:

1. Connect the power cord to the grounded outlet, but don't turn the power supply on.

2. Keep touching the case while working (sometimes if you have to use your both hand to do your work, just remember to touch it again after that).

3. Avoid working on the carpet as it will build up your statics electricity pretty fast.

4. Try wearing something less polyesters, wools, silks... Cotton will work. Avoid wearing socks.

5. Last but not least, get an antistatic wristband (somethings like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899261005)

Good luck.

Koyanti

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Sadly my only choice is carpet but from what it sounds like if I have a toe touching bare metal in my other case I indeed will be properly grounded and shouldn't have to worry about it at all...

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I've built on carpet numerous times, and never had a problem. Just keep the components in their static bags until you need them, and make sure you touch the metal case every once in a while. I've been building systems for 15 years and have yet to lose one to static.