Suitable cooling for a Phenom II 955 CPU?

Agent_Flandry

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
All there in the title, really; I'm considering upgrading to a Phenom II 955 CPU (currently have an Athlon 7750) and am looking for recommendations for a good fan or cooler to get for it. I don't intend to overclock it.

Solution
If youre not going to be overclocking, stick with the stock cooler. AMD stock coolers are actually pretty good and can handle some light to moderate overclocking. I ran the stock cooler on my Athlon II X3 435 a while back and was able to overclock that thing up to 3.4 up from the stock 2.9 and kept decent temps. Nothing wrong with getting a better cooler of course, especially when its gonna be $30 or less but you dont really need one.

jrayx

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
As rolli59 said, the TX3 should be enough, it has a very quiet fan. I have the same processor (stock clock), but I get the Cooler Master Hyper 212+, almost the same, but it performs better with O.C

axe1592

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
If youre not going to be overclocking, stick with the stock cooler. AMD stock coolers are actually pretty good and can handle some light to moderate overclocking. I ran the stock cooler on my Athlon II X3 435 a while back and was able to overclock that thing up to 3.4 up from the stock 2.9 and kept decent temps. Nothing wrong with getting a better cooler of course, especially when its gonna be $30 or less but you dont really need one.

Solution

Agent_Flandry

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks for the replies. The reason I ask is because I'd most likely be getting it from Newegg, and the only version they're selling (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113007) doesn't come with the stock cooler for some reason- as it is now the only one I have is the stock fan for the Athlon 7750, and I figured trying to use that might be asking for trouble.

axe1592

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Not really. At stock clocks, itll stil get the job done. Dont get me wrong, there is certainly nothing wrong with picking up a $25-30 cooler. Can never hurt and in case you do ever decide to play around with some mild overclocking, youll be covered.

I agree with axe. If you're not overclocking than really the stock cooler for both AMD and Intel is fine. They aren't the greatest in the world but they're made to handle the heat created by normal use. The best way to put it is they're good enough. If you really want to go with something aftermarket than the TX3 is fine but really it's not necessary if you aren't overclocking.