hobolordx2

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Hi community,

I recently got 2 gtx 580's. In SLI, my games crash in about 1 minute (game crashes, black screen only, mouse cursor still visible but cant move, cant alt-tab) or the game minimizes and I cant alt-tab back in. I have tried all drivers from 280.26 to 290.53). I tested each card separately the one currently installed in the top works fine for all drivers/games but the bottom one crashes (observations stated above). Each GPU works in MSI kombustor and mines bitcoins fine.

any suggestions for this problem?
Thanks

Update/Edit: I have tested each card/slot separately. One of the cards works fine in both the 16x slot and 8x slot (lets name this card "A"). The other ("B"), however, only works in the 16x slot. When both cards are in (no SLI bridge), "A" works fine without the SLI bridge when it is connected to the monitor while "B" crashes (connected to the monitor). Is "B" the bad card? Or are there other possible issues?

Sounds like a motherboard or chipset issue. Try running each card thru its paces in games individually in each slot. I would try a different mb if possible, mboards are weird sometimes. Had some friends that are techies and couldnt figure out some bugs they had with 2 570s but replacing the mb fixed it. Also make sure you have a fresh install of windows not a old one, Windows gets corrupted over time and needs a fresh start every 6 months or so.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC00498.jpg
Still having to throw your e-peen pictures in I see, you really need to compensate for something don't you?

trog69

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Ahahaha. I really shouldn't laugh. I just purchased a similar rig to soldier37. After that I went to the Desktop section of their forum and posted the specs, said I wanted to play Oblivion at mid-level graphics, and would I be disappointed with my purchase.

My only excuse for such blatant chest-thumping is that I tried the "upgrade as needed" route with my present system, and hit a dead-end when I could not get the HD6950 card to run. New Corsair PSU, BIOS correct, new Win7 install, 3 trips to the repair shop saying the card worked fine, and still blue screens and the card acting like it was overheating @ 65c. I put the 5770 back in, let my son plug in the 6950 in his much slower rig, which of course ran perfectly ( and 6 mos. later still does.) and said the hell with it. Waited for after x-mas sales, and paid a little more for a massive amount of upgrade. /CSB time.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
If I had a setup like soldier did, I'd do the same.lol

Anyways, @OP. It seems like it can be bad card, although I wouldn't RMA it until trying some other things. Unfortunately, I am not Vid card savvy so hopefully someone more experienced comes along.