Solved

Such Tough Choices for my first gaming rig.

Im so torn between what I wanna do. I posted earlier today asking and got some good feed back but I just want to make sure there is no one else that thinks I could trim fat, or make better by swapping out a different brand. I pretty much will just be using this to game on. Im gonna be ordering parts this weekend. I want to play BF3. Skyrim, Wow, and Old Republic. I want to be able to run everything on ultra settings with 1920 x 1080 for the resolution. I really am grateful for these forums I have learned so much reading about building your own and the benefits. I know a custom gaming store that will build and install all drives for 90 bucks but I kinda wanna take a swing at and build myself, I mean picking this stuff out was hard so may as well commit all the way. I just worry about screwing something up :( I made two different rigs over pcpartpicker

CPU Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core $179.99
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing $29.33
Motherboard ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 $158.49
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $46.99
Hard Drive Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $167.27
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB $232.68
Case NZXT Phantom (White/Red) ATX Full Tower $129.99
Power Supply Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V $74.99
Optical Drive Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer $18.98
Monitor Asus VH232H 23.0" $153.98
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) $99.99

Total: $1292.68 Thats with an OS and monitor has anyone used that monitor thoughts and feedback?

Alright the other option set up is a little different. As you can I left the graphics car open not sure of what would be the best one to suit this rig. I was kinda leaning towards the 570 but wasnt sure the jump between the two.

Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $49.98
Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $134.99
Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V $143.99
Total: $945.73

Im open to all feedback and suggestions I really just want the most for my money and to feel like I made an amazing investment. Ive been using Apple products for some time so it will be nice to have something I can open up and upgrade down the road. Thanks so much for everything in advance people are so nice here and glad to be a member of a great helpful place and hope to be able to learn and pass it on :)
28 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about such tough choices gaming
  1. I would upgrade to the p68 mobo series.

Also about the graphics card. If you can afford to upgrade to the 570 you should. Bf3 is a really gpu intensive game. It even put my gtx 580 to work. I had the 570 orginally and it was really good. I brought it back tho because I bf3 is the main game I play and wanted the best experience I could get. 570 will work fine though aslong as your not trying to max it out at 60fps like I am. I average about 45 with my 570.
  2. Ok so Which mother board is it your suggesting? Also the 560 wouldnt handle BF3 maxed out?
  3. I would go with the option #1 and get 24" instead of 23", as u would regret it later. That 1 inch will account for about 15% more of the screen real estate, and that is just great for the games!

Other parts are quality and great prices u found. That GPU is enough for what u want.

Where are u shopping? I hope the RAM is @ 1.5v.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236153
  4. Are u editing video or any other stuff like 3D or audio?

Or games only?
  5. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/5fll (Link to the first one)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/5fAQ (link to the second one with no graphics card)

I feel like 23 will be plenty like I said Ive been playing on a 13 inch macbook for about 2 years now and a 10' will almost double what Ive been using lol. I was orginally trying to stay in 1400 budget but I found a custom pc store thats fairly big here that will build install for 90 (not sure though I kinda wanna do it on my own lol) I thought My parents or friends in college would have an extra OS but no luck so far so thats almost 200 that I could have used to beef up to a better graphics card =(
  6. I mainly play games and I will still have my macbook for Video and media. I also am upgrading to a Imac pro this fall when I go back to school for editing all that so I intially will have a editing pc which will carry the majorty of media and then this one which will be just games. I was tellign a guy on another forum Ive been playing on low settings on this computer to handle wow and pvp and everything at like 30-45 fps on super low on a great day or 20-30 on average nights so this will prolly blow my mind and put me in a gamer coma for a few weeks may need to use some of my pto at the hospital to enjoy my toy ;)
  7. Lostguy said:
    I mainly play games and I will still have my macbook for Video and media. I also am upgrading to a Imac pro this fall when I go back to school for editing all that so I intially will have a editing pc which will carry the majorty of media and then this one which will be just games. I was tellign a guy on another forum Ive been playing on low settings on this computer to handle wow and pvp and everything at like 30-45 fps on super low on a great day or 20-30 on average nights so this will prolly blow my mind and put me in a gamer coma for a few weeks may need to use some of my pto at the hospital to enjoy my toy ;)

Yeah, this might freak you out a bit : ))

The 23" is good LCD and I would stay on P67 since u will not do any video on it ....

Specs are great, u will enjoy it.
  8. Lostguy said:
    Ok so Which mother board is it your suggesting? Also the 560 wouldnt handle BF3 maxed out?

I like the asus ones. They got good warrentys and alot of nice extras. Pretty much depends on your budget. Take a look at newegg they rand from 125 up to 205. I got the one I own in my sig.

Also about the 560 your most likely not going to run bf3 on ultra with a decent framerate. You can go on nvidea site and go to optimal settings and look at bf3. It will pretty much give an idea on setting what each card will do. I think you would be good on high probably pulling about 40fps. But with bf3 a higher framerate is always better. You don't want your framerate to drop when you getting attacked from all angles. I would personally not reccomend anything less than a 570. Bf3 is a game that's ment to be played with as much eye candy as possible with a nice framerate.
  9. your set is good to go, just order ir right now, and yes a gtx560ti is good enough the 1gb version, at 1920x1080 resolution, but if its alone there you might need to tone done some settings, but if you can move up to the msi gtx560ti 448 cores 1.2gb its like gtx570, but much cheaper but close in price, imo for nvidia gpu i would go with msi (since i can't get any of those lovely long warranty from US
  10. Ok so any feedback on the motherboard, as well Im also looking to tinker this set up to step up my graphics card. Any other input on ram cpu cooler power source any of that?
  11. Alright I re did it using that board let me know what you think.

CPU Cooler Zalman CNPS9500 AT Ball Bearing $26.99
    Motherboard Asus P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) ATX LGA1155 $159.99
    Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $69.99
    Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB $317.86
    Case NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower $109.99
    Power Supply Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V $124.89
    Optical Drive Samsung SH-222AB DVD/CD Writer $19.98
    Total is $1214 That is if I spurlge and get the bigger power source better graphics card and the one you linked. You think this could handle any game out with Ultra and 60+ FPS?

Or should I just stick with the one I had and change the Mob out to the one you suggested.

Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $46.99
    Hard Drive Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $167.27
    Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB $234.99
    Power Supply Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V $74.99
    Monitor Asus VH232H 23.0" $153.98

That one is 1359 how big of a difference in FPS and graphics will there be. I really like the 560 wth over clocking capabilities. Is 650 enough? I figured once I get my feet wet theres always room to upgrade later on down the road plus this one includes the OS, and a monitor as well. Let me know what the differences are and which is the better value in the long run. Also if I could still run BF3 on high with the 560 then that may sway me till I can either cross fire or just wait on a price drop.
  12. Oh another question as well would I be able to stream or watch netflix and play wow on another monitor or do I need to change my set up for this.
  13. Lostguy said:
    Oh another question as well would I be able to stream or watch netflix and play wow on another monitor or do I need to change my set up for this.

Streaming would be expensive solution.

DVI to the PC LCD and another HDMI connection for the TV.
  14. The OC'd GTX 560 will give u what u want, to be able to run everything on ultra settings with 1920 x 1080 for the resolution.
  15. Well by streaming I meant like twitch.tv or somethign along those lines so others can watch as I play. Also it would be nice to be able to multibox, or play wow on one monitor and watch tv or w/e on the other one. Basically can this computer set up run two monitors at once sorry if thats a stupid question :(
  16. Also the GTX 560 would do just as good as the the 570 and 850 power source. I just dont want to pay more for a graphics card that is nearly the same as your saying.
  17. Best answer
    CPU Cooler Zalman CNPS9500 AT Ball Bearing $26.99
    Motherboard Asus P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) ATX LGA1155 $159.99
    Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $69.99
    Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB $317.86
    Case NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower $109.99
    Power Supply Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V $124.89
    Optical Drive Samsung SH-222AB DVD/CD Writer $19.98

I personally would go with this build.

You could save 30 bucks alone by dropping the ram to 8gb. Theres no need for 12gb.

If you want you could use it to upgrade the mobo to a p68 series. There newer and support ivy bridge cpus/3.0 pci video cards that are coming out soon so your set on mobo for the future if you decide you want to upgrade at some point.

Other than that it looks fine. Theres no way your going to be running a gtx 560 with everything on ultra at 60fps like nikorr said no matter how much you overclock. With 2 in SLI yeah, but with one no. I have a gtx 580 SC and bf3 puts it to the test on ultra. Yeah you can overclock the gtx 560 to almost the power of a 570. But why not just get your self a 570 to begin with and overclock that if you want too. With 850w you will have plenty of power to SLI 2 570's in the future. I think it personally better to get a more powerful card now, get the best performance you can and grab a 2nd one when there cheaper. Most people dont go out and buy a 2nd card right away, the nice thing about sli is you just grab one when you need too but you want to make sure your happy now. I recommend you take a look at evga cards. They have great warrenty's, they have a step up program when you register you card that if in 90 days you want something better you can pay the difference. They also have a program that if you card breaks they will send you a new one, for your not without a card while they look at yours. They really go above and beyond what other cards are offering. But it pretty much comes down to your budget. You can run a gtx 570 stock on ultra with an average of 45fps, i know i did it. And you can probably get 45fps with a 560 on high turning down AA and other stuff. The 560 is a great card, and i highely reccomend it but not for bf3. Once the action picks up especially on those 64 player maps you cards going to get a beating. I saw frames in the lower 30's with my stock 570 with the action going all out and i wouldnt want to go anywhere lower than that. Anything under 30 and your going to notice. But thats just how bf3 every different situation puts a different strain on the card.
  18. What are the big differnes between Asrock and Asus?
  19. Asus P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) ATX LGA1155
    ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
    Between those
  20. And changing case now the phantom red black just jumped to 143 Im updating a new sheet right now
  21. Lostguy said:
    What are the big differnes between Asrock and Asus?

ASRock Inc. is a manufacturer of motherboards, netbooks, and HTPCs, based in Taiwan and chaired by Ted Hsuu. It was established on May 10th, 2002 and invested by and subordinated to Asus.

Difference is, that ASUS have 3 years warranty vs 2yrs on ASRock. Parts are equal.
  22. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/5hQH

Is this set up better for overall set up is there a big difference in the 560 and 570? Should I just get the 560 oc now and save the money and get a better card when prices drop I mean even if I just have to play BF on High or ultra with some things lower that would be ok with me.
  23. I was talking about the 560 and 570 I can see the changes arent that different from 570 and 580 it seems.
  24. Oh there also stopping the manufacturing of the 580 =O hmmm that makes it easier to decide now lol
  25. Best answer selected by Lostguy.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product