Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will my computer be able to run a GDDR5 graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 30, 2011 2:47:50 AM

Motherboard:
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Model:MA780G-UD3H Ultra Durable 3 Motherboard

Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 245 Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.9GHz

Memory:
3072MB RAM

Hard Drive:
107 GB

Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 520

Power Supply: OPTIMAX Atx-550ps 115V/230V 6A/3A 50-60Hz

This is the most information that I can get out from my computer

I recently bought a GeForce GT520 because I thought that my CPU and power supply cannot handle GDDR5 graphics card like the Radeon HD 5770.

I searched for some information online, it turns out is the powersupply that is the most important thing if it can handle a gddr5 graphics card. I did not buy the power supply so I don't know about a lot about it.

If anyone out there thinks that I can get a better graphics card for my specs, please help me out. I really want a computer that can at least record counter strike source on FRAPS without getting below 30FPS. Thanks

Best solution

a c 376 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 30, 2011 2:55:52 AM

Using a DDR5 card has nothing to do with your motherboard or power supply. The GT 520 is not a gaming card and you should return it if gaming is the point of the upgrade. You can use an HD5770/6770(they are the same card) and it would be several times faster.
December 30, 2011 2:59:50 AM

You are saying that Radeon 5770 and 6770 can support the specs above? What sort of specifications do I need to check before getting these graphics card?
Score
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 30, 2011 3:16:06 AM

The main requirement is a power supply that can handle the card. If your motherboard was really old or really cheap then perhaps you would have to worry about having the right slot but yours is fairly recent and has a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot which can use any current card basically. Your power supply isn't particularly good but the HD5770/6770 is very power efficient and even a poor 550w should handle it easily.
BTW overclocking your CPU would be a good idea.
Score
December 30, 2011 3:23:59 AM

Thanks so much. By the way, I have to have a good reason why I should get this card and explain it to my brother. Because before i can get any parts I need to ask him first. I'm hoping that your information can help me out thanks so much
Score
a c 79 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 30, 2011 3:29:46 AM

gaming gfx card hierarchy chart:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-ca...
your psu seems iffy.. never heard of optimax, can't find any review/specs...
your motherboard seems to be able to support up to phenom ii with a bios upgrade, check your motherboard's cpu support list in case you want to upgrade your cpu.
5770/6770 should be able to run using a 500+ watt psu..
biggest factor is how many amps your psu can continuously supply on its +12v rail(s). cheap psus usually report only max. figures, not continuous figures.
with a psu upgrade, you could go up to radeon hd 6850 depending on budget, gaming resolution, other specs.
Score
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 30, 2011 3:34:01 AM

msndotnet said:
Thanks so much. By the way, I have to have a good reason why I should get this card and explain it to my brother. Because before i can get any parts I need to ask him first. I'm hoping that your information can help me out thanks so much

Well, the point of upgrading your video card is to play games I assume. This card specifically because it is good for such and works well with your system. I guess if you want to tell him something else it is over 4 times faster than the GT 520.
Score
December 31, 2011 5:52:59 AM

Best answer selected by msndotnet.
Score
Related resources
!