What should I upgrade based on my specs???

highc1157

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Hi everyone,

I'm an overclocker trying to figure out what to upgrade in my current system... was thinking new mobo and RAM, but maybe you guys might have insight as to what might be a better option. My budget is 300 dollars, I just want to be future proof for a while and be able to max everything and anything out coming out in the future. Im a gamer and produce music and do heavy multitasking between big programs.

Here's my current system:

-4GB G.Skill ddr2 800Mhz
-Gigabyte 790x-UD4P
-Phenom II 965 (OC'd to 4.2 GHz)
-EVGA Superclocked 560 TI (Factory OC'd to 850MHz clock and I have mine maxed safely at 975 MHz)
-150GB HD (I dont really need more space at the moment)
-Corsair H60 Cooler

I was thinking to get some awesome DDR3 RAM and couple it with an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX. I just want an overall BEAST of a comp, and know that my MOBO and RAM are the most outdated components of my system; therefore, I'm looking for some input as to what would be the best options. I would love an overall, well build and future proof (for the next year or so...lol) system that will not slow down for any games or multitasking I throw its way :D

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
I have the SABERTOOTH 990FX and I really like it. It's a solid Motherboard with an excellent 5 yr. warranty. Since it also supports the AMD FX Series processors and up to 32 GB DDR3 Memory, it should serve you well.

The ony caveat is that the FX processors have failed to impress. They're still faster than the Phenom II's but not by enough to justify spending the extra money on them IMO. Hopefully the next generation (Piledriver) will offer some significant improvement in performance.

Otherwise, I am planning to build my next system with Intel parts since they are so far ahead, performance wise. However, I don't really forsee needing to do that for a while since my current system is still plenty fast and will probably last me at least a year or two more.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
I wouldn't recommend you to change motherboard or ram.
Doing this what kind of performance will you get? None

You already have a nice CPU, there's no reason to buy a bulldozer CPU. Consider too that the upcoming Piledriver won't be using the AM3 socket... (like this 990FX motherboard).

In the end you would be buying a mobo, with new ram.. same memory, and no upgrade path or performance upgrade.
Today, I would only think about the Intel LGA 1155, the actual Sandybridge and their Ivybridge update that in come in June (that uses the LGA 1155 too).

Said that in the mobo+cpu area you can:
1- go with this LGA 1155 + Sandybridge
2- wait and go with LGA 1155 + Ivybridge
3- wait and go with next socket + Piledriver.

Nobody is looking at the man's budget ?
If somebody need a part now , why somebody come and say ...wait another 2 month or better wait to the end of the year. Why those who recomend things like that didn't wait to piledriver or Ivy Bridge ?