New build - Comp not booting with GPU in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehloco

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
i5 2500k
ASrock z68 extreme3 gen3
EVGA 560ti
Patriot DDR3 1600
Corsair 500W (enough?)

I am not sure wether the PSU is enough or the problem is the graphics or pci-e slots in the MOBO.

I am able to get into the BIOS without the graphics card on. I have not installed windows or anything, everything is new of the box.

With the GPU connected, I get a black screen. I tried on the bottom slot of the MOBO (curious) and the comp turned on and off, then back on.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Solution
Are you sure that you put the cable from the monitor to the card? (Not the motherboard?). Corsair is decent so it should be enough, no overclocking though. Which series have you got? CX or GS?

Ehloco

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

Wow I feel retarded. I had it plugged in before but it didn't work. Switched some things around and forgot to try again.

The Corsair is CX series. No OCing? I was looking forward to it... What wattage would you suggest?

One of the Chasis connectors on the MOBO isnt turning on the case fan, It did before.

Thank you :na:

stuffe

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
If you are worried about if your PSU is enough, spend $15 on a wall socket energy monitor and get a feel for what your system is really using. Remember to take into account the efficiency rating of your PSU, so if the wall says it's pulling 400w, and it's 80% efficient, then it's pulling 400w to provide 320w. 600w at the wall might equate to approx 480 in the case. I would suggest that you have plenty headroom to OC, but if you are worried, check. the September $1000 PC on here ran dual 460s in SLI on a 600w supply which maxed at approx 450w in the case with CPU and GPU load, so 1 560 should have all the juice it needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.