$6000 server component advice

giaviv

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Hey guys,

We are getting a new server for our backend. The server:

1) Stores financial data (a lot of realtime data for stocks, currencies etc.) in MySQL
2) Runs nginx or an equivalent http server that allows this data to be queried over the web (before the data is returned, it is loaded from the MySQL and processed / manipulated / divided / interpolated in memory)
3) Runs a caching system which stores the frequently accessed portions of the data on a RAM based Redis database (only a few gigs on the RAM)

Some more requirements and information:
1) The server needs to be able to handle as many requests per second as possible
2) No virtualization
3) We have allocated $6,000 for this server, however we'd hopefully like to pay less
4) In terms of sequential / random access, the data is basically observations of many different financial series. For every series the data is sequential and is indexed by the time, but there are tens of thousands of series. These series are definitely not equally as popular though - I would say really only about 250 series are accessed frequently.

Here is what we have so far -

Barebone: Supermicro 2022G-URF Black
CPU: Opteron 6274 16 Core G3 16MB 80W 2.2GHZ Tray
Hard-drive: 4 x 600GB Cheetah 15k.7 SAS 6Gb/s 15K RPM 16MB 3.5 inch
Raid controller: LSI00280 9260CV RAID SAS 512MB PCIE 2.0 4 Port 6Gb/s SATA+RAID
(we are going for RAID 10 - 1.2TB is enough for us)

We're still missing the RAM - what would you recommend we go with? 128GB would be a good start.
Are the hard drives good for us? Would SSD offer us a huge advantage? If SSD is the right choice we'll just go smaller capacity-wise.
Could you recommend a different barebone for us? The supplier we're working with doesn't carry that specific one. What would be a good alternative?

And in general, we'd appreciate any comments / changes for any of the components listed!

Thank you

Would you be better off with SSDs for storage? You could get four 512GB SSDs and use RAID5. I don't know if you'd be better off with more performance in this machine (server builds aren't common on Tom's, especially such high budget server builds), but it's worth considering. Maybe someone more experienced with such builds will find this thread and sort things out better for you.

ceomrman2

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Building servers is fun. I wonder, though, why not consider an HP Smartbuy Proliant or IBM x-Series? If this server is important, maybe it ought to have battle tested airflow design and monitoring whatnot. In any case, SSD can be faster than spinny disk, even for sequential loads (I think), but I'd rather save that budget for the best CPU. You can always easily add some SSDs to a 2u server - they'll only get better and cheaper. Verify the Opteron beats the Intel for your kind of database usage. Intel has been crushing AMD lately on the DB benchies I've seen, at least. Maybe that'd be a more future-oriented goal set.

I don't know how parallel OP's work is, but the Interlagos Opterons beat the Xeons of the same price in work that can stress all of their cores. They lose in work that can't stress all of their cores.