Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading GTX 260 Core 216 OC SLI advice appreciated

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 30, 2011 5:14:07 AM

I plan to purchase within the next few days and my budget is about 230$.

Currently playing all the most recent games such as Crysis 2, Batman Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Skyrim and so on...
I also do rendering on software such as Autodesk's Maya(mostly just animating) and sometimes I work with Autodesk's Mudbox.

I currently own 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3
Power Supply: CORSAIR 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz 8MB Processor with a COOLER MASTER V8 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
Also: OCZ GOLD 2GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Memory -total=12GB

Currently got a new monitor, a 26" at a native resolution of 1920x1080

I want to be able to have no issues running my games and to be able to put them at max settings. Currently battlefield is pretty much at medium settings and runs stable enough with an average 0f 40 FPS. I have some trouble with skyrim at the highest settings, sometimes FPS dips down into the thirties. It would also be nice to be able to have DX 11 features in my games and see what all the fuss is about.

Currently looking at this EVGA GTX 560ti from Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814130610

Just curious if it would be worth it to upgrade to this card for the performance over my 2 GTX 260's, especially since I have the money now and I feel like its time to upgrade since I've had those 2 cards for about 3 years now. Also I can use EVGA's step-up program if Nvidia's new gpu's come out in 90 days and are reasonably priced for their mid-range card.
a c 105 U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 5:24:37 AM

the link doesn't work but let me be the only one to say shove that 560. Get yourself a 2gig 6950 or 6970. The extra frame buffer will come in handy and your games and apps will run better because of it.
m
l
Related resources
a c 92 U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 5:28:15 AM

depending on your budget maxing out bf3 isn't a good idea but playing on ultra without much aa can be done with a 6970.
m
l
December 30, 2011 5:31:00 AM

Well right now I'm pretty much playing BF3 on medium and I want to be able to move up to high. Also the 6950 and 6970 are kinda out of my budget.
m
l
December 30, 2011 5:31:46 AM

I don't think there is anything in that price range that's going to give you the boost you want. A single card at that price will perform relatively the same as your 2x 260's.

I would reccomend hanging on to them a little bit longer until you can save some more cash. It would stink to spend 230 to see a marginal (if at all) increase.
m
l
December 30, 2011 5:34:58 AM

Yeah that's my main concern is spending that much money on a card only to have a marginal performance increase over my two cads. I'm thinking I should maybe wait for the new line of cards that I hope will come out very very soon and the "660" will be in the 250$ range.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 6:30:14 AM

I would wait until you have more funds and the 600s or 7000s are released, your performance from two gtx 260s would roughly be similar to one 560 ti or hd 6950.

You kind of are in a tough place due to already having a pretty capable gpu setup, that is only beaten by the higher tier cards of which are currentyly out of your budget. You could sell off your gtx 260s for additional funds, probably get 70 bucks for each of them.

even with those 'additional' funds it still would be better to wait for the newer cards.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 7:34:19 AM

There's a big difference in "performance" over the 260's. Some of you guys got to forget that FPS aren't the only things related to performance. As far as the new series of cards to come out......... gonna be way more expensive and out of OP's price range.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 7:51:16 AM

The GTX660 (or 760 depending on Nvidias choice in name) will be the replacement for the GTX560ti

As a result it will be in the $250 - $300 price range. OP should have time to save an extra 50 or 100 dorrar for this event as it will not occur until March time probably.

However - a GTX560ti will have a HUGE effect on performance in comparison to your 260s.

Higher clocks - newer architecture - more VRAM - similar amount of shaders all together and the advantage of being one card instead of two.

But your 260s will suffice, im sure
m
l
December 30, 2011 8:22:04 AM

wcarey said:
Yeah that's my main concern is spending that much money on a card only to have a marginal performance increase over my two cads. I'm thinking I should maybe wait for the new line of cards that I hope will come out very very soon and the "660" will be in the 250$ range.

That'll be the smart move. I've had machines from every nvidia generation in single and multi card configs since the 8000 series and I can attest you won't see a huge jump just yet. The 200 series cards did scale incredible in sli towards the end of their reign as well, by the time drivers became perfected. The 295 is technically sli and it is nose to nose with the 480 core for core, lower clocks to boot. So the multi-gpu thing is a non issue.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 11:25:58 PM

swifty_morgan said:
There's a big difference in "performance" over the 260's. Some of you guys got to forget that FPS aren't the only things related to performance. As far as the new series of cards to come out......... gonna be way more expensive and out of OP's price range.

I still cant advocate that the OP sink 250.00 (ish) dollars on a 560 ti or 6950 and only get roughly the same performance in terms of fps if even. I do agree that he will gain performance in terms of lower power usage, less heat, and gain dx11 support, but I just can't justify the upgrade.

To the OP you could op for xfired hd 6870s or gtx 560s that would cost you roughly 340.00. You would gain dx11 and performance slightly higher then a gtx 580 in terms of FPS.

You are really in a tough place for an upgrade, its a tough choice.

I still stand by waiting and saving.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 11:41:35 PM

I can tell you first hand that you will be downgrading depending on the game if you were to go with a single gtx 560ti. Fermi unit to unit when clocks are normalized is weaker than what it replaced as Nvidia focused more on double precision 64 performance that only helps in a very limited range of apps while games depend on mostly 32 bit only. Why does that matter because there is a lot less overall 64bit floating point unit performance than there is single precision.

I suggest at the very minimum a GTX 570, in games that don't scale beyond a single gpu that don't use openGL you will notice a nice boost over what you got now. Newer isn't always better plus what you got now is less likely to fail than most Fermi era cards that are built noticeably cheaper than older G80/92/G200 era cards. Fewer power vrm phases along with higher loads have caused many problems with Fermi cards with the gtx 460 and 570 being well known for faults but the gtx 590 takes the prize for it's failures.

GTX570 or better. If going Red I suggest a 6950/70.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 12:18:58 AM

I ran 2 gtx260-896 in sli. they were beaten to hell by the better performance of a single gtx260 lightning ( msi with 1792 memory ). there is no comparison between the sli-ed 896 cards and the 2gig 6950 in raw performance. the Op is going to run Maya and other apps that will benefit greatly by the upgrade. We're not just talking gaming.

Why is it that as soon as or just before the release of a "new" batch of cards the "old" become irrelevant ? .... but I guess the reviewers have to be blamed to an extent.......... can you say payola ?
m
l
December 31, 2011 2:15:00 AM

Damn you guys are making it hard to decide :)  I still might wait on the new cards but I'm still not sure on that. I kinda want to stick with Nvidia because as far as I know their cards and drivers are better "optimized" with the likes of Maya and 3ds Max.
m
l
!