Sign in with
Your question

Does a good powersupply increase game performance?

Last response: in Components
June 17, 2012 5:06:18 AM

I got my "GENERIC" powersupply which is 600 watts but the word GENERIC does not make any good right? so I'm Planning to buy a new powersupply "thermaltake 600 watts lt-600p black edition" Its thermaltake, and branded powersupply is good right? and its written as true power, no false name.

Do you guys think that I can gain FPS with that powersupply? I mean I got my ati 5770. and My generic powersupply doesn't have a 6pin so I bought myself a 4pin molex to 6pin connector. And I play dirt 3 at the Highest settings and I get 40 to something FPS. Do you guys think that my generic powersupply is bottlenecking? you know, bottlenecking powersupply does not give enough watts so the usage of the processor or the other computer components is not fully use.

So now the question:
Do you think I'll gain true performance If I bought that Powersupply and put it onto my computer?
a c 110 ) Power supply
June 17, 2012 5:30:06 AM

You will not gain any performance. That thermaltake is as well a "generic" power supply, it may look good on the outside, but inside it's still POS components. IF you want something quality, go with a brand such as Seasonic.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 17, 2012 5:38:27 AM

a psu does not directly improve a gfx card's performance. if you install a good quality psu in your system, it'd ensure consistent and continuous power delivery to all pc components. it will (model dependent) provide over current, over voltage, under current/voltage protections etc. if the components like cpu and gfx card are power hungry, they will benefit from a better psu with good amount of amps on its +12v rail(s). bottom line - you take out psu related problems out of the question with a good psu. a bad psu can cause stuttering during games or intensive tasks, pc slowdown, system instability, and in worst cases - component damage.
thermaltake psus have inconsistent qualities. corsair, seasonic, enermax, antec psus have good quality. for example - corsair builder series cx 500 v2, seasonic s12ii 520 etc.
m
l
Related resources
a c 128 ) Power supply
June 17, 2012 6:03:47 AM

First, generic does not mean it is a crappy power supply. Many power supplies are built by a different company than the one that labels and sells it (they call it rebranding). Your power supply does not affect the PC's performance in any appreciable way except a better quality power supply will last longer and may put less stress on your internal electronics. Your frame rates will not change at all from a PSU swap. If a power supply can not provide the wattage the PC requires, it will shut down (or catch on fire if the built in safeties don't work), there is no amperage or voltage "throttling".
Truthfully, at this point, I would continue to use the existing PSU until you start to have issues (you may want to buy one now to have on hand if you are anticipating issues). Or you can buy the Thermaltake (they recieve good reviews) and keep the generic for backup
m
l
a c 110 ) Power supply
June 17, 2012 6:06:47 AM

If I am correct on this one, Delta Dell PSU=WIN!
m
l
!