Solved

Please recomend a good PSU for new rig

CPU : AMD FX 8150

GPU : Either AMD 7850 or 6950.

MB : Asus m5a99x evo

21.5 inch monitor

1 hdd

16gb 1600mhz RAM

few case fans


I was thinking about SeaSonic s12 ii 620w or corsair tx 650w.


Are both of these enough? or will I need more power [ > 700w ??]


Main uses: Heavy VFX work, video editing and 3d work. [ Adobe cs6, Blender, Maya, Fusion, Nuke etc]
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about please recomend good
  1. Why aren't you going with an nvidia card with CUDA!? Adobe programs, blender, maya all have gpu acceleration.
  2. Best answer
    both are good.i would suggest going with TX650 V2,it's a rebranded seasonic and really cheap now.and for gpu,go with 7850,your psu(tx650)will easily handle crossfire.
    enjoy ;)
  3. Either of those psu's would be fine. a good 500 watt unit will run those cards, 700 watts would run 2 of them.
  4. ^in fact a 650w will run both of them.
  5. amuffin said:
    Why aren't you going with an nvidia card with CUDA!? Adobe programs, blender, maya all have gpu acceleration.


    Correct, but in my budget the best Nvidia Card that I can afford is 560ti where as 7850 is generally considered overall better than it and also is more power effecient while costing almost same price here. Also I have heard that CUDA is not that great.
  6. 7850>560ti but cuda cores play a major role in gpu accelerated apps.but i don't think you should worry about it,your cpu is good enough.
  7. hellfire24 said:
    both are good.i would suggest going with TX650 V2,it's a rebranded seasonic and really cheap now.and for gpu,go with 7850,your psu(tx650)will easily handle crossfire.
    enjoy ;)



    One more question that I forgot to ask earlier, would a cheap local brand UPS be fine with these PSUs.

    We experience frequent power cuts here, as a result I need about 2 minutes of back up time to shut down applications and system. I can not afford expensive sine wave UPSs so would a cheap local brand UPS work in my situation, or will it destroy my PSU and other components.
  8. manpreet66 said:
    Correct, but in my budget the best Nvidia Card that I can afford is 560ti where as 7850 is generally considered overall better than it and also is more power effecient while costing almost same price here. Also I have heard that CUDA is not that great.

    Ave you considered the gtx 480?
  9. ^make sure it's cheap in terms of cost but not in terms of power delivery.you will find a reasonably priced ups for 2 min back up.
  10. amuffin said:
    Ave you considered the gtx 480?



    Just checked it out,

    Runs very Hot, uses too much power and very old now.

    I think I will stick with 7850 for now.
  11. OK, thanks people for helpful answers.


    And I am glad no one came here telling me to replace Bulldozer with i5 or i7.
  12. Best answer selected by manpreet66.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies AMD Components