HDMI On TV Zooming Issue

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I have a computer setup by my Sylvania TV and when i use my computer on it zooms in and a can barley see the corner of the widows 7 icon on my desktop i tried everything i could think of is there anything i csn do DO NOT AWNSER ABOUT CABLES OR TV SETTINGS THIS IS A PC PROBLEM!

I tried VGA and it flickers and the colors are not as good why is that?

LCD Display

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Did you try forcing to 16:9 (not auto)?
And it is a TV problem... Well, TV makers don't see it as problem. That is why we have TVs and monitors. Even 1920x1080 TV's don't do 1-to-1 pixel mapping by default. It's stupid design choice, but every TV maker does overscaning. On some models they offer you to disable it, but it's not disabled by default (I researched this when I bought my 42" TV - this was my elimination criteria).
I don't know why, I can only speculate, but maybe to offer a "softer" image or because the early SD-to-HD scalers showed black margins (since SD 480p and 576p always had "undisplayable" margins).

I don't know what GPU you have, but both AMD and nVidia offer you ways to counter the overscanning.

Regarding VGA, I have too little information. It could be unsupported refresh rate (50Hz vs 60Hz). But does it also zoom?

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

I have a EVGA Nvidia GeForce 8400 gs it's bad for gaming but great for everything else.