Sign in with
Your question

After i install new GPU my monitor is not working

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 30, 2011 7:29:22 AM

Hello i have intel celsius w340 computer with Pentium 4 3,2ghz HT , 2gb ddr2 ram, 450W PSU , nvidia 8400gs , i got new SAPPHIRE RADEON 5670 GDDR5 512mb.I uninstalled first nvidia graphics drivers and then i replaced it with my new graphics and guess what.My screen does not work.I hear the fan of cpu working and video card fan is working too i also hear sound from welcome screen.The only thing that is not working is my video card and DVD drive - it makes strange sounds like clicking and doesnt want to open.When i take ati 5670 off then everything works fine.So where is the problem? I tried any tricks from internet like unpluging power and holding button for 30 seconds or puting my monitor cable directly in my radeon , not onboard graphics but nothing is working.I hope this video card i bought is not anyhow damaged but it should be fine fans are working and pci-e slot was also cleaned with brush.
Some people told me to disable onboard graphics, however when i go to bios i can not do it because this option is grey colored and can not be selected.In boot setup i have 2 options to run PCI-E cards and Onboard or PCI cards as primary.So how can i run my computer with my PCI-E card without using onboard card? Well im stuck i payed my money and i did not get anything yet.Any help? Thank you for reply.

More about : install gpu monitor working

December 30, 2011 9:35:33 AM

Put your cable on your old onboard connector, drop into the bios, and see if there is a setting to select your display output. Then save your settings, put the cable into the new card, and try again.
December 30, 2011 10:09:45 AM

when i put my cable in to onboard connector i still dont see any display, monitor shows no signal.but when i take out radeon 5670 and switch it for my old 8400gs the screen appears . When i go to bios i cant disable onboard gpu and in boot options i can choose 2 primary displays : PGE and PCI i tried both of them and still same issue i also did fresh reinstall of windows.Also DVD mechanics is making looping sound but only when my new GPU is inserted in to computer.Any idea?
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 10:23:21 AM

Your computer is rather old and has a 1.0 PCI-E slot. These older slots sometimes have issues with PCI-E 2.1 video cards. There are 2.0 HD5670s but I'm guessing yours is 2.1 and that is causing the problem. If there is a BIOS update for your motherboard it may fix the issue but beyond that I would return the HD5670 and get a 2.0 card(which means Nvidia at this point.)
December 30, 2011 10:52:54 AM

what about getting motherboard with 2.0 pci express? would it fix this problem? anyways ill try updating my BIOS , however it will be very painfull searching for these updates and thank you for reply .
December 30, 2011 11:02:30 AM

ok i found that i have motherboard : FUJITSU SIEMENS D2156­-A1 however i cant find a way how to update BIOS do you know any site where i can download it?
December 30, 2011 11:18:29 AM

Getting a new MB is tantamount to starting over. Your RAM and CPU won't be compatible so you'll need new, maybe a new PSU etc etc etc. Easier to go for an Nvidia card, maybe a 8800 GTX if you can still get one (equivalent power roughly) or a GTS250/450 (better, probably cost a little more).

Here is a list of PCIE 1 x cards still available: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
December 30, 2011 11:30:58 AM

well i can i find any cheap motherboard with pci-e 2.0 and for pentium D or dual core processor? i dont need any epic performance on my computer
December 30, 2011 12:07:53 PM

i found this motherboard- MSI G41M-P43 Combo its cheap however i have few questions:

1.does it support Intel core 2 duo, or Pentium D processors?
2.is there PCI-E x16 2.0 slot so i can use my RADEON
3.will 450W psu be enough then for RADEON 5670 and dual core?
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 12:35:24 AM

To put it bluntly your CPU is simply terrible and insufficient for most current games. It will bottleneck even a cheap card like the HD5670 If you are going to upgrade the motherboard you should upgrade the processor as well. If you want to go as cheap as possible I would recommend the following;

Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz - $52
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

BIOSTAR H61MLB LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $52

Crucial 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - $17

The processor is quite low end but still a massive upgrade over what you have now, over 4x as fast. The above is also highly upgradeable. When you have enough money replace the processor with a quad core i5(currently $175ish) and add another 4gb of RAM if you want to and you are good to go.
December 31, 2011 12:18:34 PM

Well i am going to try updating BIOS, maybe the card will work then and i can install Pentium D 3,01 GhZ in to my motherboard i think its still much better.If the bios update wont fix it ill get new motherboard and buy some cheap core2duo or i3 will it be enough to play some games like assassins creed brotherhood , COD4 and so on?
well atm i can still play COD4 but on 800x600 resolution with fps around 50
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 1, 2012 2:18:57 AM

A Pentium D is still terrible for gaming, I wouldn't bother with that. If you do go for a new motherboard skip Core 2 Duo. The processors are still ok but the platform is obsolete and a Sandy Bridge chip like the one linked is superior for the same money and the LGA1155 motherboards will allow you much more upgrade potential.
With something like the processor I linked and an HD5670 you will be able to play all current games acceptably with fairly high settings at resolutions 1280x1024 and under, medium to low settings at higher resolutions.
!