Sign in with
Your question

Radeon HD 6850 Issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 30, 2011 7:36:31 AM

Hey everyone,

So I recently purchased a Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 from newegg. It worked fine for the past 2 days, and then tonight after a reboot of my computer there was some artifacting and "the graphic driver has stopped worked but recovered." However, once it recovered, it would immediately freeze and begin artifacting again. I tried uninstalling all of the drivers in safe mode and then reinstalling them from both the AMD site and from the CD that came with the card with no success. (I'll add that when rebooting with no drivers installed there is no artifacting, it only begins artifacting/freezing once the new drivers are installed)

Does this sound like the card is just malfunctioning? Should I check to ensure the graphics card is seated properly? This all just seems so strange since it worked properly for 2 days.

Anyways, thanks in advance!

P.S. OS is Windows 7 - 64 bit

More about : radeon 6850 issue

December 30, 2011 8:27:46 AM

Update:

I uninstalled all of the previous drivers while in safe mode and restarted my computer. When the computer restarted I allowed Windows to identify and update the drivers for my 6850 instead of installing drivers from the CD or from AMD.com. Once it completed, I went to manage devices and had windows automatically search for driver updates, which it found, downloaded and installed. After a restart it seems to be functioning properly now and I will update if I have any other issues.

Maybe there is an issue with Windows 7 or 64 bit with this certain card and allowing windows to auto-detect and download drivers allowed them to avoid the issue? Oh well, I'm just happy it seems to be working again.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 10:07:12 PM

you did ok on the last post Some drivers just don't work with certin cards if I up date my card to the next one it gets all werid and does some stupid stuff so I put the driver that I had before and it works just fine. Just food for thaought
m
l
!