Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$5400 System Build - Need Some Ideas

Last response: in Systems
March 1, 2012 3:32:46 PM

Hello forum, my wife and I are working on build but have most of the core components already. We want to make the most prepared and wise decision when going through with the process.

There are the core items we already have, they are;
- Intel® Core™ i7-3960X Extreme Edition "Unlocked" (ARV US$1,050.00)
- Intel® Desktop Board DX79SI (ARV US$280.00)
- Intel® 510 Series 250 GB SATA Version 3 2.5-Inch Solid-State Drive (ARV US$682.00)
- Intel® Thermal Solution RTS2011LC (ARV US$110.00)

Other Components necessary to build the PC provided by Newegg.com, not to exceed US$3,300.00. The total Component value will not exceed US$5,422.00.

1. The PC Will be used for Professional Video Editing and Graphics Design (Adobe CS5.5 Premier/After Effects/Encore/Photoshop/ 3ds Max etc.) Gaming (Assassins Creed/Diablo 3/Call of Duty/ Need For Speed/Skyrim etc) Media Center use, Tech Supporting family and Friends and the usual daily tasks.

2. The budget is as described above, and we can't go over $3,300.00 in additional items.

3. All the products have to be from newegg.com

4.We don't really have a brand preference, just a performance preference, we want everything to run well and do so for years to come.

5. I don't want to incorporate any old parts I have into this build but will be willing to go a little into my tax refund to fill in any lower priced components, but we're trying to stick with the budget because the adobe production suite is going to be a pretty penny for us to buy for this system.

6.One preference I do have is the new Coolmaster Cosmos S2 case because of its portability when we plan to do live multi-camera video productions at different sites maybe 3 to 4 times a year. The db of the case fans wont be a bother as long as the cubic feet they push in and out the system is very efficient.

7.I would like to safely overclock in a fashion that will allow the components to last for a very long lifespan but also allow video rendering and gaming processes to go through as breezily as possible.

8.I'm waiting to schedule when to make the build so preferably I'd like to see examples of builds based on current tech on the market and also 2nd quarter tech that will be coming out.

9.My wife definitely prefers as close to life resolution, contrast, etc when she does her work, but those monitors tend to be rather pricy and demolishes our budget so we're aiming for at least 1080p and multi monitors would definitely be a plus for multitasking but not absolutely necessary I had even considered two Acer H274HLbmd 27"'s

We'll eagerly await your feedback and thank you for the assistance.

More about : 5400 system build ideas

Best solution

March 1, 2012 4:02:01 PM

Quote:
6.One preference I do have is the new Coolmaster Cosmos S2 case because of its portability when we plan to do live multi-camera video productions at different sites maybe 3 to 4 times a year. The db of the case fans wont be a bother as long as the cubic feet they push in and out the system is very efficient.

The Cosmos II is amazing.

Quote:
7.I would like to safely overclock in a fashion that will allow the components to last for a very long lifespan but also allow video rendering and gaming processes to go through as breezily as possible.

You want air cooling then - I don't touch liquid cooling on *ANY* build and I certainly wouldn't touch it on a $1K CPU.

Quote:
9.My wife definitely prefers as close to life resolution, contrast, etc when she does her work, but those monitors tend to be rather pricy and demolishes our budget so we're aiming for at least 1080p and multi monitors would definitely be a plus for multitasking but not absolutely necessary I had even considered two Acer H274HLbmd 27"'s

So what do you have in mind for displays? I would not go for that ridiculous overpriced 27" Apple display - those Acer monitors should be fine. Try Asus - they make some of the best displays on the market, alternately you could try an NEC monitor but those are insanely expensive.

Try something like this:

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II - $349.99
PSU: Seasonic X-1250 Gold - $259.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 2133 16GB (4 x 4GB) Quad Channel for X79 - $179.99
SSD: 256GB Crucial M4 - $339.99
HD: 2TB Samsung Ecogreen F4 - $159.99
Optical: LG BD-R burner - $79.99
Video Card: 2 x Power Color Radeon HD 7970 - $559.99 each
Monitor: 2 x ASUS VE276Q Black 27" Full HD HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor - $279.99 each

Total: $3,144.84
March 1, 2012 4:22:07 PM

+1, I wish Kepler was out. then you could instead of 7970's. 2x GTX 670's
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2012 4:31:34 PM

I would not recommend 2 monitors. I say, go 3 or go 1. With two, the crosshairs will be in your FOV. I would get the U2312HM. It is a great monitor for its size and price range.
m
l
March 1, 2012 4:39:30 PM

Rockdpm said:
+1, I wish Kepler was out. then you could instead of 7970's. 2x GTX 670's

It would be a dream come true.
m
l
March 1, 2012 4:40:20 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:

The Cosmos II is amazing.

Quote:

You want air cooling then - I don't touch liquid cooling on *ANY* build and I certainly wouldn't touch it on a $1K CPU.

Quote:

So what do you have in mind for displays? I would not go for that ridiculous overpriced 27" Apple display - those Acer monitors should be fine. Try Asus - they make some of the best displays on the market, alternately you could try an NEC monitor but those are insanely expensive.

Try something like this:

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 2133 16GB (4 x 4GB) Quad Channel for X79 - $179.99
Monitor: 2 x ASUS VE276Q Black 27" Full HD HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor - $279.99 each

Total: $3,144.84

Thanks for the input!
I also was wondering about the g-skill memory they had for $159 with the same clock speed as the Mushkin, is G-Skill reliable enough to invest in? There are also some points in time where After Effects will use over 17GB of ram when dealing with HD Video so I was thinking of two sets, but still not sure because of the price and also considering that I've never had a solid state before in a system, it may slightly fix our after effects issues. It's hard to decide but one thing I'd absolutely add (which you did leave room for) is a high performance card reader for video transferring. Thanks again for your input, I cant wait to hear from others.
m
l
March 1, 2012 4:41:38 PM

Your build looks great, so I will just focus on the monitor. What do you want in a monitor?
m
l
March 1, 2012 5:01:57 PM

Quote:
I also was wondering about the g-skill memory they had for $159 with the same clock speed as the Mushkin, is G-Skill reliable enough to invest in?

They're both fine manufacturers - I recommended the Mushkin since they were highly rated in a recent roundup on the main page of Tom's: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/quad-channel-ddr3-m...

Quote:
There are also some points in time where After Effects will use over 17GB of ram when dealing with HD Video so I was thinking of two sets, but still not sure because of the price and also considering that I've never had a solid state before in a system, it may slightly fix our after effects issues.

Adding or removing RAM on X79 isn't a problem - if your motherboard has up to 8 x DIMM slots you can use up to 64GB RAM as long as you're using Windows 7 Pro or Linux. Maybe try this for a 32GB kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
and also considering that I've never had a solid state before in a system, it may slightly fix our after effects issues.

I'm not sure what issues you're having - I don't really use after effects (can't afford a license :lol:  ), but SSDs will drastically improve read - write times for your system - the one I linked to is one of the best on the market currently, and I also included a nice 2TB secondary storage solution. If you can reuse old HDs that will certainly help. The Cosmos II makes it really easy to add and remove drives.

Quote:
It's hard to decide but one thing I'd absolutely add (which you did leave room for) is a high performance card reader for video transferring

This is the one I use and it works great - really easy to install - no adapters or mounting brackets to fiddle with and rock-solid build quality:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
March 1, 2012 5:11:24 PM

azeem40 said:
Your build looks great, so I will just focus on the monitor. What do you want in a monitor?

What goes through my mind, is that we should use one really awesome monitor since it will help the job, but also I consider the fact that right now we use a Sony BRAVIA KDL46EX720 46-Inch 1080p 3D LED along with a small 21" Asus and use them pretty efficiently so I don't think we'll mind the FOV issue. The image quality seems to be sweet on the Bravia, but I'm sure we may be missing allot since we haven't experienced higher than 1080 res. My wife doesn't want the new PC in our living room with the tv so I had to get new and decent monitors for this. I'm still undecided on that end.
m
l
March 1, 2012 5:13:56 PM

Omg, my family also has that same TV. Do you care about viewing angles and color quality? How about 120Hz?
m
l
March 1, 2012 5:24:12 PM

azeem40 said:
Omg, my family also has that same TV. Do you care about viewing angles and color quality? How about 120Hz?

Being able to bring a client over and show them the work we're doing is very important. I'm sure that the biggest possible screen is going to be in our favor when it comes to this, and lifelike colors is a plus (especially for print jobs), but I do currently adjust the gamma etc on my Sony and Asus from the graphics card, so right out the box colors aren't that important. I've never considered anything less than 120 particularly because of gaming.
m
l
March 1, 2012 5:32:05 PM

Well, for you I suggest an IPS monitor. It is GREAT for quality photos and it isn't half bad for gaming either.
m
l
March 1, 2012 5:39:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what issues you're having - I don't really use after effects (can't afford a license :lol:  ), but SSDs will drastically improve read - write times for your system - the one I linked to is one of the best on the market currently, and I also included a nice 2TB secondary storage solution. If you can reuse old HDs that will certainly help. The Cosmos II makes it really easy to add and remove drives.

In our old machine we have been using a WD 300 GB veloci-raptor for the boot drive and a whack 1.5TB 7200rpm Seagate that always freezes/loads during video playback maybe every few minutes and we are so sick of it! (With a passion) To appropriately play film and edit we always have to drag it back to the Raptor. I saw the 2TB Samsung you suggested had only 32mb of cash to build on, do you think I'd still be able to avoid any of my prior issues with this drive?
m
l
March 1, 2012 5:59:21 PM

Clearly you won 32 in 32.

Congrats
m
l
March 1, 2012 6:02:05 PM

simplytechnical said:
Quote:

In our old machine we have been using a WD 300 GB veloci-raptor for the boot drive and a whack 1.5TB 7200rpm Seagate that always freezes/loads during video playback maybe every few minutes and we are so sick of it! (With a passion) To appropriately play film and edit we always have to drag it back to the Raptor. I saw the 2TB Samsung you suggested had only 32mb of cash to build on, do you think I'd still be able to avoid any of my prior issues with this drive?

I don't think so - I've never been a big fan of WD's Velociraptor series, but with an SSD as your primary most of the cache is offloaded to the SSD and your CPU - you won't notice any lags using a 5900RPM drive as your secondary storage.

Quote:
Being able to bring a client over and show them the work we're doing is very important. I'm sure that the biggest possible screen is going to be in our favor when it comes to this, and lifelike colors is a plus (especially for print jobs), but I do currently adjust the gamma etc on my Sony and Asus from the graphics card, so right out the box colors aren't that important. I've never considered anything less than 120 particularly because of gaming.

That will be sweet on a 46" TV - you could always hook a monitor up to your PC, convert the files to a BD-R and then use a dedicated BD-R player and hook that up to your TV and display the videos that way.
m
l
March 1, 2012 6:06:28 PM

simplytechnical said:
Quote:

I'm not sure why its lagging, could be fragmented or bad sectors on the drive, have you tested it with HDtune?

The reason I'm saying this is because I watch 1080p videos from my samsung 120Gb IDE drive all the time :o  no lag or freezing (max transfer speed is 19-25MB/s lo)
m
l
March 1, 2012 6:34:24 PM

maxinexus said:
Because of your professional needs you will need a IPS monitor. 30" and 2560x1600 resolution is a must...This is actually cheap monitor considering the work you doing. Pro monitors like EIZO they go for double that or more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $1399

That is a scary beast man, especially at that price, but what you may be telling me may be clearly inevitable. I want to do the right thing, but going over budget initially with this build isn't a completely economical option for us, but I'm sure I wouldn't regret it. I'd have to further ponder this with the wife when I get home.
m
l
March 1, 2012 6:41:52 PM

mouse24 said:
I'm not sure why its lagging, could be fragmented or bad sectors on the drive, have you tested it with HDtune?

The reason I'm saying this is because I watch 1080p videos from my samsung 120Gb IDE drive all the time :o  no lag or freezing (max transfer speed is 19-25MB/s lo)

Its funny because when I tried to test it a year or two ago I was getting a response that my particular 1.5TB Seagate HD was not compatible with any other tester than its own "official certified" testing app, in which it of course scored perfectly every time I tested it. I got it as a sale item from Micro-Center for $69 I believe, so that may have answered my own concern.
m
l
March 1, 2012 7:06:21 PM

maxinexus said:
Because of your professional needs you will need a IPS monitor. 30" and 2560x1600 resolution is a must...This is actually cheap monitor considering the work you doing. Pro monitors like EIZO they go for double that or more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $1399

:ouch: 

If you're gonna spend that much on a display I'd recommend the NEC PA-301 - it's a 30" monitor that can rotate from landscape to portrait mode: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
March 1, 2012 7:06:32 PM

hey if your ram fits, i suggest air cooling like the noctua nh-d14 = for a totally great air cooling i do suggest not carrying your system around while it has water cooling and yes i learned it the hard way on my x58 extreme rig before silly me thinking things are tight and solid and then o.o you know what happens, so if you haven't decided on an air cooling the noctua nh-d14 is your best friend, although 212 evo are good (i think they are compatible with 2011) but noctua is still the bad boy there, with an extreme build better go with extreme air cooling
m
l
March 1, 2012 7:07:26 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I don't think so - I've never been a big fan of WD's Velociraptor series, but with an SSD as your primary most of the cache is offloaded to the SSD and your CPU - you won't notice any lags using a 5900RPM drive as your secondary storage.

Quote:

That will be sweet on a 46" TV - you could always hook a monitor up to your PC, convert the files to a BD-R and then use a dedicated BD-R player and hook that up to your TV and display the videos that way.

One thing I considered but never really did since I had my Sony was using its DLNA ability to grab files readily off the computer's media server to play for clients downstairs but I'm a little worried about the codec compatibility of the TV. Anyhow, that's a bit off subject. But I can clearly see the monitor as being the hardest choice. But I noticed no one referred to what input devices (keyboard, mouse, and maybe headset) i should go with???
m
l
March 1, 2012 7:19:14 PM

simplytechnical said:
One thing I considered but never really did since I had my Sony was using its DLNA ability to grab files readily off the computer's media server to play for clients downstairs but I'm a little worried about the codec compatibility of the TV. Anyhow, that's a bit off subject. But I can clearly see the monitor as being the hardest choice. But I noticed no one referred to what input devices (keyboard, mouse, and maybe headset) i should go with???

I think that might be going a bit beyond my expertise. :lol: 

But the input devices - I really never recommend anything beyond a $50 Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse set like the MK550 - if you want to use beyond that - anything is fine.

Quote:
hey if your ram fits, i suggest air cooling like the noctua nh-d14 = for a totally great air cooling i do suggest not carrying your system around while it has water cooling and yes i learned it the hard way on my x58 extreme rig before silly me thinking things are tight and solid and then o.o you know what happens, so if you haven't decided on an air cooling the noctua nh-d14 is your best friend, although 212 evo are good (i think they are compatible with 2011) but noctua is still the bad boy there, with an extreme build better go with extreme air cooling

I already suggested the D14 - but the OP has the pre-built Intel liquid loop - it's fine but I personally don't touch liquid cooling and would certainly hesitate to pair it with a ~$1K CPU.
m
l
March 1, 2012 7:42:51 PM

kishow said:
Clearly you won 32 in 32.

Congrats

Thanks man, I guess there would be no reason to hide it, but I'm sure they'll announce it soon.
m
l
March 1, 2012 7:48:02 PM

g-unit1111 said:
:ouch: 

If you're gonna spend that much on a display I'd recommend the NEC PA-301 - it's a 30" monitor that can rotate from landscape to portrait mode: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You guys are giving me a heart attack before I even build this thing, that would likely be a future upgrade if anything.
m
l
March 1, 2012 7:50:26 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I think that might be going a bit beyond my expertise. :lol: 

But the input devices - I really never recommend anything beyond a $50 Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse set like the MK550 - if you want to use beyond that - anything is fine.

Quote:

I already suggested the D14 - but the OP has the pre-built Intel liquid loop - it's fine but I personally don't touch liquid cooling and would certainly hesitate to pair it with a ~$1K CPU.

I Heard that the Intel liquid cooler that we've already got it really well built. Do you really not trust it that much with movement?
m
l
March 1, 2012 8:04:20 PM

sosofm said:
Buy 32GB RAM ( 4 X 8GB) and you can upgrade if you want to 64GB.
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 290$

Is the difference between the 1600 and 2133 speeds not much to bring concern over, well what I mean is, can you not tell the difference or is it even worth the extra $? I currently rock 18gb of Kingston 1600's and they are okay so I know where your coming from, they get pretty hot though.
m
l
March 1, 2012 8:08:51 PM

simplytechnical said:
I Heard that the Intel liquid cooler that we've already got it really well built. Do you really not trust it that much with movement?

I'm not really the biggest fan of liquid cooling - to me it's too much risk for not a lot of payoff. Most manufacturers' warranties don't cover loss due to water damage and on a $1K CPU I'd really hesitate to trust even a well built one. You can still use it that's fine but ultimately I'd prefer a strong air cooler like the aforementioned Noctua D14.

Quote:
Is the difference between the 1600 and 2133 speeds not much to bring concern over, well what I mean is, can you not tell the difference or is it even worth the extra $? I currently rock 18gb of Kingston 1600's and they are okay so I know where your coming from, they get pretty hot though.

Not really - by default your motherboard will load the lowest speeds and timings it can handle and even on high-end RAM like that you will never get the full use of the speed it specifies. In the BIOS - you can set your memory multiplier to force it to run the stock speeds but going anything over that has the potential to fry your build.
m
l
March 1, 2012 9:04:25 PM

Try something like this:

Total: $3,144.84[/quotemsg]

Do you think that I'll need that much juice for the crossfire configuration or could I safely pass with a CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 Could save about $70?
m
l
March 2, 2012 6:10:14 AM

Best answer selected by simplytechnical.
m
l
March 2, 2012 6:15:11 AM

I decided to go with this build Thank you all for the input, I've decided to buy the Dell UltraSharp U2711 for the machine separately. As you can see I do listen to good advice, so again, thanks everyone.
m
l
March 2, 2012 6:52:22 AM

I've gotnothing else constructive to say but if you plan on gaming at that res its going to need a beast of a pc, check the benchmarks @ 2560 x 1600 and you'll see what I mean

Makes most GPUs crumble.

that ram is way over priced, grab this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
March 3, 2012 12:12:23 AM

Here is alternative that you might like

Monitor: 30" Dell U3011 $1399

PSU: Seasonic Platinum-860W - $219.99

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 $89.99

SSD: 3 X Mushkin Enhanced Chronos SSD $255

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB- $139.99

Video Card: 2 x Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 - $959.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Total: $3495

That is only $350 dollars more than previous build and you will get a monitor you deserve, a semi-pro 30" high resolution IPS screen powered by super cool and quiet video cards that perform nearly as good as 7970. Also when you RAID those chronos SSD together you get read/write speeds that exceeds 1000MB/sec
Additionally don't get cheap with the drives. Forget the green $hit. Go with 1Tb WD black if you run out of capacity which it won't be that soon you can always add another drive later...by that time prices should be down .
Good luck.

Max.

m
l
March 3, 2012 4:32:29 AM

simplytechnical said:
I decided to go with this build Thank you all for the input, I've decided to buy the Dell UltraSharp U2711 for the machine separately. As you can see I do listen to good advice, so again, thanks everyone.

Watch that Asus card - it has major clearance issues.
m
l
!