Computer shuts down midboot

kole9273

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
sorry if I put this in the wrong section.

I recently bought a new motherboard, processor, and ram. I breadboarded it with just the psu, cpu, mobo, and ram. It ran fine. I installed it into the case. It stills runs fine even after running it for 5 minutes. But as soon as I plug in the had, it starts up, passes posts, windows starts loading, then everything shuts down. At about the same time every time. The power led is always yellow, not green..
what's wrong??

Thank you in advance!

kole9273

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Yeah I meant hdd, sorry, phone auto correct. What does that setting do? And I haven't been able to enter bio's for some reason, it may just be me hitting the wrong button? (Im using an msi g41mp34 motherboard)

kole9273

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I just looked it up and it looks like it's DEL to enter the bio's when I get back home.

Any other ideas why it might not be working? And also what that change in the bio's does?

kole9273

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
This is my first time trying to run windows on it. All I did is replace my old mobo, cpu, and ram with this new one. Same hdd and everything.

Does that change to ahci fix the yellow power led too? Could that be because of the psu? (I doubt it since it powers up fine all the way until windows is half way through loading) (windows xp) seems software related like bios

diddle283

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

It is the problem. With the major hardware changes you made you will need a full reinstall of windows. Format your HDD and reinstall :)

diddle283

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

Just insert your windows disk, at your startup screen (where you get the option to go into the bios) there will probably be a boot option, press it and select boot from dvd drive. this will give you the option to repair or reinstall windows.

this isnt the quickest way round doing it but you can reinstall windows onto the same hard disk. When its installed, you can access your old data, save whatever files you want and then format the hdd, when you restart the comp do the same again for a fresh install and you should be good to go!

diddle283

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
just to note that if you dont have the boot option from that screen (Dunno what mobo your using) you just need to go into the bios and change the boot priority to dvd before hdd. If you dunno how to do this, tell me the mobo you have and we can sort it from there

kole9273

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I can't access my computer until tomorrow, but I know how to change the boot order. So if I reinstall windows through booting from the disk, it'll allow me to backup the data? Then I can fresh install 64bit later?

diddle283

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

So when you make a fresh install of windows, it will package the old install up (it will tell you this and where it can be found during the new install). it won't be a usable version of windows, but your files will still be accessible to back up.

kole9273

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
So I put in the windows disc to try and reinstall it (booting from the disc) and it still shut down while it was loading setup.. I removed the ram and the mobo beeped so the mobo is fine, the could and ram is fine. The only thing left has to be the psu right?

TRENDING THREADS