Ati 6490M dissapeared from device manager

Hi m using a hp dv6-6052EA notebook. With a 6490M 1GB GDDR5 and intel 3000HD switchable graphics built into my i7 processor, i did a graphics driver update for both cards (same install package) from the hp website, during the install it blue screened of deathed me and error about graphics drivers. I rebooted it and loged back in, now only the intel hd graphics adapter shows in device manager, even when in high performance, the amd nstaller cannot find my 6490m (even the hp drivers cant) so im unable to nstall it. Please help me,
9 answers Last reply
More about 6490m dissapeared device manager
  1. Go to amd's website and find the driver.
  2. amuffin said:
    Go to amd's website and find the driver.


    I did just say no drivers find the graphics card, its not even listed in device manager, and normal ati drivers dont work, the chip is locked to only use hp drivers or modified ati ones. Btw im not stupid, so dont try posting stupid gameboy level intellegence answers like that. I need serious answers.
  3. Reyho said:
    I did just say no drivers find the graphics card, its not even listed in device manager, and normal ati drivers dont work, the chip is locked to only use hp drivers or modified ati ones. Btw im not stupid, so dont try posting stupid gameboy level intellegence answers like that. I need serious answers.

    Im not assuming you are stupid, I just figure that amd has a driver for it.
  4. amuffin said:
    Im not assuming you are stupid, I just figure that amd has a driver for it.


    Fair enuf, but i did say neither amd or hp drivers worked, neither could detect the card in the system. And the normal amd drivers from amd website dont work on many laptop maufacturers, as they lock them to only use their own versions of it.
  5. Stiillll need help if possiable guys. Thanks
  6. assuming you have no lovely yellow exclamation points in device manager, take a drive image or back up your stuff and do a factory restore. That's what HP will end up telling you to do. If its not back afterwards the GPU is most likely dead
  7. unksol said:
    assuming you have no lovely yellow exclamation points in device manager, take a drive image or back up your stuff and do a factory restore. That's what HP will end up telling you to do. If its not back afterwards the GPU is most likely dead


    Yes i could asume hp would tell me that but there is no way the gou cold be dead, its 4 months old and rarely used, i have always been using the intel one. Havnt played any games on the laptop, just music and web browsing, i got a feeling its somthing to do with windows possiably merging the two cards into one in device manager, as before i tried the driver update, the intel card didnt have family chipset on the end of it. Ill try a system restore to a few days ago see if that helps.
  8. the cards are not going to "merge" in device center. a connected device shows in the device center, unless it is disabled in the BIOS or its not functioning/broken. I suppose a major problem with the OS might cause it as well but a messed up driver install shouldnt. Still system restore is worth a shot

    But it is entirely possible for a brand new barely used device to be faulty. manufacturing defects happen. its probably what caused the BSOD. Hopefully that's not the case, but I have seen wifi cards die and dissappear like this. At least its under warranty though.
  9. It seems the restore fixed my problem :) hanks anyway guys
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Device Manager Hewlett Packard Graphics