Front audio jack still not working?

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Okay, I don't really use a front audio jack (my cheap speakers have a jack), but I had to urge to "fix" my front audio jack.
My NZXT Gamma case didn't have long enough front audio cables to reach to the back of my motherboard, so I needed to buy an extension. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201025

The extension fit on the NZXT plug, as well as the Front AUdio pins on my motherboard. But there is still no audio using the front panel. Sound works fine through the speakers using my rear jack though. Ideas?

Solution
Yes, this is normal on some motherboard audio chipsets. In some cases it is also configurable in the BIOS to how it behaves, but not many.

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
It ends up the front audio jack IS working, just something is wrong software wise.
The headphones work through the front jack, as long as speakers are plugged into the rear jack as well.
I need to physically turn off or turn down the speakers because the sound is coming out of both
the speakers as well as the headphones. Any ideas?

diddle283

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Ignore that last post :p

My previous computer did exactly the same thing. I never fixed it. I believe it was just the way the motherboard was. My new build cuts the speakers out when you plug the front panel in. I did nothing to set this up, it just worked as soon as it was built.