Spec please for 4Gb ram, ?? HD, 1Gb graphics and ethernet

PCingenue

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
OK peeps I've taken advice from Sadam and have put a thread together to ask all of you Brains of Britain, plus other countries around the world, for a spec list to determine whether I build myself or get others to do it.

Briefly the PC we are looking to purchase must do 3 things well.

1. Surf t'interweb using Firefox (I know it's a ah heck what with their new plug in container) looking at YT, Daily Motion etc

2. Play Avi, Mpg and DVD films with decent sound quality (My dear old Mum is a tad on the deaf side but could use in ear headphones) to avoid watching the same tripe TV that Grandad watches :)

3, Streaming TV (particularly on Saturday afternoons :eek: ) for my old Dad so Mum can get on with her life :)

So here goes

Approximate Purchase Date: (Any time within the next ten years but sooner rather than later)

Budget Range: (e.g.: as little as possible bearing in mind pensioners get what they get nowadays)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: surfing the internet 50%, Watching movies 25%, Streaming TV 20% and 5% whatever Grandad does that gets him banned :D )

Parts Not Required:
We have a Dell 102 keyenhanced keyboard with a ps2 connection
A logitech mouse with USB connection
A Dell bass unit with "wine glass" stereo speaker sytem with one small phone/jack plug and a new ish 24" Heinz variety VGA compatible screen. So basically everything outside the box including many copies of op sys.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (N/A Have never done this before)

Parts Preferences: (No particular preference but would like a reasonable graphics card to present streamed TV and Films in as near a TV" experience as possible)

Overclocking: Absolutely no idea what you're talking about :(

SLI or Crossfire: Ditto :(

Monitor Resolution: (The current monitor supports all of the following e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200)

Additional Comments: (If anyone knows of a good looking woman in the vic............Sorry where was I ? Bog standard machine required, nothing fancy on the outside but good refresh rates needed for Films and Streaming TV. VLC is the main player along with WMP 11)

Also required USB Ports x 4, DVD writer plus an ethernet port for Broadband connection (BB approx 2.4Mbps)

I also intend to migrate them away from Vista (tell me it wasnt designed by the same team who thought Shakespeare's works could be reproduced by a team of monkeys) to Windows 7 although if push comes to shove I'd install XP :(

Thank you one and all !!!

g-unit1111

Titan
What website do you use to buy parts from? Knowing local availability would help - I'm guessing Aria or Scan.

Knowing your max budget would help as well.

Anyway try this build:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - £ 55.99
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX600 - £ 44.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-D3H - £ 66.99
CPU: 3.3GHz Intel Core i3-2120 - £ 77.00
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 1.5V - £ 40.88
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - £ 51.60
Optical: LG BD-R Burner - £ 55.50
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 -£ 98.99
Monitor: 22" Acer S221HQLbd Widescreen Slim LED DVI-D Monitor - £ 74.99

Total: £764.46

PCingenue

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Thanks very much g-unit looks like a very decent price, especially as I dont need the O/S nor the monitor :)

Sourcing from either of those suppliers would be OK in your opinion ?

TRENDING THREADS