Sign in with
Your question

Do I have a bad GTX 570?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 30, 2011 2:08:40 PM

I recently purchased a GTX 570, and was quite excited to try it out with a couple of games. I booted Skyrim and SWTOR along with fraps to measure fps and, much to my surprize, they ran considerably slower than what was indicated in this site's benchmarks. One might say it's the processor, but I'm using the same one as in the articles. (i5 2500k) The minimum frame rate for both games at the settings used was something like 45, while I'm going down to 32. I might expect this with Skyrim, however my 570 should destroy SWTOR. Does anyone have any ideas? Any feedback at all would be wonderful. Thanks so much!

Windows 7 64 bit
i5 2500k
evega nvidia gtx 570
16 gig RAM

More about : bad gtx 570

December 30, 2011 8:47:45 PM

Mine did also worse than in benchmarks. Thing is the game is badly limited by cpu, it barely recognizes multiple cores. Depending on where you are at the map the framerate fluctuates wildly. For example in whiterun with ultra settings, when standing near to entrance and looking at the dragon's reach, I only get 30fps.

i7-920@3.7GHz + 2xGTX570oc & 6GB ram
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 30, 2011 9:16:53 PM

iinlane said:
Mine did also worse than in benchmarks. Thing is the game is badly limited by cpu, it barely recognizes multiple cores. Depending on where you are at the map the framerate fluctuates wildly. For example in whiterun with ultra settings, when standing near to entrance and looking at the dragon's reach, I only get 30fps.

i7-920@3.7GHz + 2xGTX570oc & 6GB ram

You got what is still can be considered a nice cpu and with your cards you should be getting better fps than this but your ram now isn't much now days. I got a weaker cpu and weaker cards than you but still get fairly decent fps in this game with the difference I got 16GB and page file is disabled. A slow drive can hold back the fastest of systems.
m
l
Related resources
December 30, 2011 9:32:29 PM

nforce4max said:
You got what is still can be considered a nice cpu and with your cards you should be getting better fps than this but your ram now isn't much now days. I got a weaker cpu and weaker cards than you but still get fairly decent fps in this game with the difference I got 16GB and page file is disabled. A slow drive can hold back the fastest of systems.

I usually get 60fps but there are few places such as whiterun where the fps drops dramatically. 6GB of ram is enough, skyrim can't use more than 4 anyways. I do have swapping enabled but I have an SSD for system drive so that should not be a big problem.
m
l
December 30, 2011 9:42:28 PM

turn off AA and AF completely and use FXAA and you will see a huge improvement and no noticable eye candy loss.
m
l
!