Am I in the wrong place......??

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 2, 2005 11:49:05 PM

I'm not sure how to ask this without getting some hackles up but here
goes anyway.......I just joined the group yesterday looking for info
on a camera I want to buy. The camera can be bought on special for
about $400 .......as I went through the list fo postings I completely
at random picked out three cameras that people were asking questions
about just to see what the cost was........the least expensive camera
was about $1500 and the most expensive was around $4000.

My question is if this is a forum for high end cameras
mostly.....??.....although I guess you guys with the high end cameras
started with a lesser camera at some point so you should be
knowledgeable about the entire market line. I don't mean to suggest
that this group would be elitests' I got answers to my posting right
away but is there a group thats active for us with the sub $1000
cameras.....??

Also I just got the HP printer 375B

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_p...

I did some research on printers and liked a lot of the features of
this printer and read some very good reviews. Foolishy I never
considered that it could print only 4X6 pictures. I am tossing this
around in my skull how often I would use a different photo size than
4x6........and also wondering if I even need a printer having a
Walmart five minutes away and not expecting to do a tremendous amount
of photography.....Problem is if I want to guy a printer this is the
time to do it........I can get any HP with a $50 dollar rebate plus a
10% cash rebate.

Even with all of the great portablility features of this printer in
your opinions is it foolish to buy a printer limited to one print
size.....??

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

More about : wrong place

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 11:49:06 PM

As other respondents suggest, just ask your camera question in this or
one of several groups and you'll get plenty of input. In fact, there
are a lot of great cameras in that price range at this point in time
and as usual, a lot will depend on your preferences.

Regarding the printer, Photo Story 3 from MS is free as is Picasa 3 and
from them you can make picture cd's/dvd's and hand them out more
cheaply than you can do prints. If you really just have to have
prints, then a lab may still be the way to go. You can get anything
from pro quality to Wal Mart for most likely less than the per print
cost of doing it yourself. In fact, even the immediacy thing is
somewhat overcome now with the advent of Wal Mart doing one hour prints
at your local store from uploads. I got an 8"x10" for under three
dollars in an hour at my local Wal Mart and it was quite acceptable.
OTOH, by wife has a jumbo printer that does scrapbook pages as well as
a 4"x6" printer and is pleased with both. She really does use them
since she's big into "scrapbooking" and can go make a print to fit as
she needs them. If you do that or something similar, then you might
want a printer, but for my purposes, I only use one to print schedules
and rebate forms. Once again, it all depends on what your preferences
are.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 12:17:01 AM

Yep, this is the best cheap camera group <g>. Just be clear you aren't
willing to spend billions to avoid the fancy tempters. Tell them you
already have an inhereted $8000 digital and lenses from your uncle but
want something smaller you can put in your pocket. Frankly if I were in
your shoes, I might look for the best 3MP camera, you just don't need
more for small prints. Especially if your computer doesn't have a lot of
space and you don't want to bother doing backups with DVD burning & all
that.

The printer you linked to looks like an inkjet but I believe there are
dye-sub printers that do small size and I believe those are better like
real photo prints and not terribly expensive. The wallmart prints are
supposed to be really very good and much cheaper than your own printer.
However, you might find that you don't print much with digital and
mostly view on screen or email to friends.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 19:49:05 GMT, Brad <bjdbradnospam@gmail.com>
wrote:

>As I went through the list fo postings I completely
>at random picked out three cameras that people were asking questions
>about just to see what the cost was........the least expensive camera
>was about $1500 and the most expensive was around $4000.

That's why doing things at random isn't always a good idea. Anyway,
tell us about the camera you want to buy.

>My question is if this is a forum for high end cameras

Yes, and low end cameras.

>mostly.....??.....

mostly both.

>although I guess you guys with the high end cameras
>started with a lesser camera at some point so you should be
>knowledgeable about the entire market line.

Many people migrated to digital from an SLR, so a lot would be tempted
to buy a DLSR, which can be expensive ($700 and up), so they can
continue using their old SLR lenses & accessories. Although cheaper
camera users outnumber the DLSRs probably 10 to 1, the people who can
be bothered to discuss this in a newsgroup usually represent those who
are going to spend $500 or more.

>I don't mean to suggest
>that this group would be elitests' I got answers to my posting right
>away but is there a group thats active for us with the sub $1000
>cameras.....??

Yes, this one.

>Also I just got the HP printer 375B

That'd generally be a different group, although printing comes up here
sometimes. I am a proud owner of a wide-carriage Epson 1270 which
mainly gathers dust, printing only scraps of web pages - the odd bread
recipe etc.

All my printing is done by www.mpix.com who do great digital wets from
29c per 6x4 - Consistent results on high quality paper - I can't beat
that at home.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Brad wrote:
> I'm not sure how to ask this without getting some hackles up but here
> goes anyway.......I just joined the group yesterday looking for info
> on a camera I want to buy. The camera can be bought on special for
> about $400 .......as I went through the list fo postings I completely
> at random picked out three cameras that people were asking questions
> about just to see what the cost was........the least expensive camera
> was about $1500 and the most expensive was around $4000.
>
> My question is if this is a forum for high end cameras
> mostly.....??.....although I guess you guys with the high end cameras
> started with a lesser camera at some point so you should be
> knowledgeable about the entire market line. I don't mean to suggest
> that this group would be elitests' I got answers to my posting right
> away but is there a group thats active for us with the sub $1000
> cameras.....??

As a generalisation, many people with an interest in Digital photography
may migrate to higher priced / higher featured cameras, and like talking
about them. Don't worry about that. My favourite photo that I have
taken with a digital camera was with a cheap Casio P&S. My favourite
film camera photo was taken with a box brownie.
There are other forums, r.p.slr-systems and r.p.zlr-systems where
discussion (mainly arguments) on more expensive digital cameras is frequent.

> Also I just got the HP printer 375B
>

> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_p...
>
> I did some research on printers and liked a lot of the features of
> this printer and read some very good reviews. Foolishy I never
> considered that it could print only 4X6 pictures. I am tossing this
> around in my skull how often I would use a different photo size than
> 4x6........and also wondering if I even need a printer having a
> Walmart five minutes away and not expecting to do a tremendous amount
> of photography.....Problem is if I want to guy a printer this is the
> time to do it........I can get any HP with a $50 dollar rebate plus a
> 10% cash rebate.
>
> Even with all of the great portablility features of this printer in
> your opinions is it foolish to buy a printer limited to one print
> size.....??
>
> Brad

Many will tell you that a printer is a waste of money for 6x4 printing,
because it is (much) cheaper to get photos done by a lab. However, cost
alone may not be a factor - as the satisfaction of printing your own at
home immedately and conveniently is hard to put a price on.
Remember instant polaroid cameras?. They were expensive to run, and
produced small and very ordinary results. But they were brilliant in
their day. You can do much better quality at home now, at a far lower
cost that polaroids ever cost. If you haven't already bought a printer,
then look at an A4 inkjet. Canon Pixma printers seem to be well
regarded. Even if you wouldn't print larger photos than 6x4, the
printer is useful for document printing etc, unlike a dedicated small
photo printer.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 6:18:05 PM

Since somebody else made a general recommendation, so I'll make a
specific one. We've had several P&S digitals and the one we just loved
and is still used by my wife is a Canon S1-IS. I think you can get it
for way less than the amount you've quoted at this point and if you
want more megapixels, it now has a big brother. If you intend to do
8x10's or less, it's just great. The long zoom with image
stabilization and the flexibility are what sell it. The downside is,
it won't fit in a shirt pocket.

Yes, I have a DSLR now and would rather talk about that, but as you can
see, most of us are willing to chatter on about anything photographic.
Check out any Usenet index for a list of photo newsgroups, but this one
is as good as any for high end, low end and in the middle end.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 11:30:38 AM

Kitt wrote:
[]
> Yes, I have a DSLR now and would rather talk about that, but as you
> can see, most of us are willing to chatter on about anything
> photographic. Check out any Usenet index for a list of photo
> newsgroups, but this one is as good as any for high end, low end and
> in the middle end.

For SLR systems:

rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

For low-end point and shoot:

rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

For higher-end SLR-like cameras:

rec.photo.digital.zlr

For digital rangefinders:

rec.photo.digital.rangefinder

David
June 6, 2005 10:53:56 PM

Thanks for the info all........I think I will stay put right
here.....I am nearing the point where sometimes its a chore to read
all of my newsgroups and thats a bummer......this one has decent
volume and certainly a wide range of topics.......

!