Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do I get a i5 2500k or i7 2600k for gaming!?

Last response: in Systems
March 1, 2012 11:24:21 PM

Hi. I know the i7 is > i5. Duh, it's $110 > to be in depth, but is it? That's my question. Is the i7 REALLY greater than the i5 if I'm going to OC the *** out of it.

My OCing: To stay withing 1.3v, and under just 4.2GHz, standard is 3.3GHz. Also, doing so, will the CPU last 2 years at minimum, and when the CPU is done & dead, will my MOBO be dead too?

Lastly, this is going to be online so no tax, lowest shipping $ possible, and yea. So it is worth it? Will it atleast let me OC high enough to see LITTLE to NO difference? I will be playing GTA 5 (CAN NOT WAIT!), ME3, BF3, etc. Modern titles. Need more info? Let me know :p 

i7: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

i5: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

EDIT: Oh! And on another note, there is a i5, and i7 that is LOCKED and is less $, the other i5 i7 are UNLOCKED for MORE $. Why? Difference? Thanks guys!

More about : 2500k 2600k gaming

Best solution

March 2, 2012 12:05:29 AM

For gaming, all you need is an i5 2500K.
The i7 2600K performs practically the same as the i5 2500K in terms of gaming (it does have Hyperthreading and more cache, but games don't take advantage of the HT).
You can expect a good, stable OC even on stock voltage (I've seen people go to 4.0GHz and slightly more on stock voltage), and +4.5GHz with a good aftermarket cooler and a voltage bump.
The locked i5s and i7s means that their multiplier is limited and you cannot OC it very much.
Generally, for overclocking, go for the unlocked i5s and i7s to allow easier and simplier overclocking (just raising multiplier and voltage).
BF3's multiplayer benefits from a quad-core, and with an overclock, you can expect a performance boost to some extent.
ME3 is't difficult to run at all (my rig which has an HD 6750 and AThlon II X4)\ can max it out with playable frames) and your system will have no difficulty.
As for GTA V, it will most likely benefit from an overclocked quad core, as did GTA IV (be aware GTA IV was a horrible console port that was not optimized for PC very well, so it was taxing on the CPU more than most games).

An overclocked i5 2500K will probably last at least 3 years before considering an upgrade.

Cheaper i5 2500K:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you live near a MicroCenter, you can get an i5 2500K for under $200.
March 2, 2012 2:41:52 AM

AbdullahG said:
For gaming, all you need is an i5 2500K.
The i7 2600K performs practically the same as the i5 2500K in terms of gaming (it does have Hyperthreading and more cache, but games don't take advantage of the HT).
You can expect a good, stable OC even on stock voltage (I've seen people go to 4.0GHz and slightly more on stock voltage), and +4.5GHz with a good aftermarket cooler and a voltage bump.
The locked i5s and i7s means that their multiplier is limited and you cannot OC it very much.
Generally, for overclocking, go for the unlocked i5s and i7s to allow easier and simplier overclocking (just raising multiplier and voltage).
BF3's multiplayer benefits from a quad-core, and with an overclock, you can expect a performance boost to some extent.
ME3 is't difficult to run at all (my rig which has an HD 6750 and AThlon II X4)\ can max it out with playable frames) and your system will have no difficulty.
As for GTA V, it will most likely benefit from an overclocked quad core, as did GTA IV (be aware GTA IV was a horrible console port that was not optimized for PC very well, so it was taxing on the CPU more than most games).

An overclocked i5 2500K will probably last at least 3 years before considering an upgrade.

Cheaper i5 2500K:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you live near a MicroCenter, you can get an i5 2500K for under $200.

Wow bro, thank you so much. Your a pro. :)  Great, buying one tomorrow! :)  Problem solved ;) 
m
l
March 2, 2012 2:42:05 AM

Best answer selected by ttg_avenged.
m
l
!