Sign in with
Your question

Help a Cannibal

Last response: in Systems
March 1, 2012 11:57:34 PM

Not really a home-built yet, but that is where I need help:

I have a Gateway fx 6800-01e with various upgraded parts that I would like to cannibalize into a new rig,
preferably at not too great of a cost (few hundred).

I use it for gaming and watching blu-rays. It is hooked up to a 55 inch Vizio 3D TV and I uitlize 3D TV Play.
This brings me to the additions:

Graphics card Replaced: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
RAM: added to 9 Gigs
Hard drive replaced: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD1001FALS

Suggestions Please :-)

thanks,

More about : cannibal

March 2, 2012 12:01:38 AM

Also, forgot to add: LG BH10LS30 Super Multi Blue - BD-RE added
m
l
March 2, 2012 12:06:37 AM

Graphics Card specifics: EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2012 1:08:25 AM

stistick with 8 gb of ram, tripple channel memory isn't really supported anymore. the 560ti will be a great addition, it's capable of almost anything. make sure you have a large enough power supply, probably 700w
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2012 8:44:00 AM

With only a "few hundred" to spend, it's not worth trying to upgrade your system. You've already got a CoreI7 920 (according the specs). Getting a better processor would cost most (if not all) of your budget and you'd still need a new motherboard, RAM and operating system.

-Wolf sends
m
l
March 2, 2012 12:19:44 PM

You could probably buy a new case, and a better PSU (the ones manufacturers ship systems with are normally crap.)

Then if you have any remaining funds (or enough I should say) simply add another 560 ti for SLI and you'd have a great build for gaming.

But truth be told even those things shouldn't be needed. As it stands your system isn't too bad. Might wanna wait for the next gen processors to come out, by then the current sandy bridge processors will drop in price, AND you'll probably be able to snag another GTX 560 ti for cheap.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2012 12:31:56 PM

Most likely his motherboard doesn't support SLI as it is, Unless he is gonna upgrade his board and processor later on, but by that time he might as well get a NVIDIA kepler video card instead of the GTX 560 ti
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2012 12:40:04 PM

To echo the last few posters, you'll need to specify what you'd like to accomplish with this upgrade. Is something not performing as well as you'd like? Do you want to add more drives that won't fit in that case? Do you think you might have power issues?
m
l
March 3, 2012 3:31:57 AM

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think Noidis really got to the meat of it. I would like to maybe swap cases, something a little more conservative, maybe set up to look like an A/V component since it is under my tv with the amp and receiver.

Secondly, a new power supply might be good idea, as I have a lot of stuff added to this system (extra drives etc) that were not on the original (which I might add may have been somewhat under-endowed in the PSU department to start).

Finally, I have had to do some creative wiring with this motherboard (not really that knowledgeable about all the details, but I can patch things together in a pinch) and have also had some problems with slow start up/hanging at the bios. Furthermore, I have had a hard drive which was in one of the little sliding forward loading bays crap out on me. So . . . I was wondering if there was a better mother board out there that I could put all of the other components on. CPU etc.

Basically, take the 560 Ti, CPU, RAM, HD, DVD, BluRay and put all into a new Case/Mother board/PSU.

As an added bonus, would it make since to slide in a little solid state for the OS to run off?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2012 1:01:16 PM

If you're looking for a conservative, component look, check out Lian Li cases. They're a little pricey, but fit and finish will be impeccable. Some of Antec's plainer cases like the Sonata III or IV would be good choices; they often come with the 500W Earthwatts PSU, which would be sufficient for you. They're heavy cases, but sturdy and quiet.
Unless you're planning to add a second GPU, a good 500W-550W PSU will be sufficient. Most of Newegg's 80+ Gold offerings (including the new Rosewill Capstone series, but probably not Raidmax and I'm not sure about Sparkle) would be decent. Some, like the 500W LEPA G500-MA, are modular. If silence is important to you, the Seasonic SS-560KM does not even run its fan at low loads. That is what I have, and I'm not sure I've ever heard it; my system also has a GTX560Ti.
m
l
March 3, 2012 1:27:43 PM

Here is a nice case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 $59.99

OR

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX also $59.99

New MoBo, Well Rated and should fit all your stuff

(SLI and same brand as your GPU.. I know I like that when I can)

EVGA 131-GT-E767-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI 3 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $149.99

PSU (might be better to get more power if your for sure going to SLI down the road)

SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze $89.99

After shipping/rebates just under 300 bucks
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2012 2:07:15 PM

Buying a 1366 mobo in 2012 would be silly.
m
l
March 3, 2012 2:13:53 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Buying a 1366 mobo in 2012 would be silly.

Yeah, but he already has the CPU.

And its not a bad chip

Also he said he had a budget.. it would be WAY more to get 1155+new cpu+new case+new PSU. The budget would be shot.
m
l
March 6, 2012 11:44:40 PM

In regards to one thing OP posted,

It'd DEFINITELY be worth it to slide in an SSD for the OS.

While it makes it a hassle to reinstall the OS (Setting up the default drive for installs/user folders can be a pain the first 2 or 3 times.) The boot times will more than make up for it if you consider the minutes you're shaving off EACH boot/copy/movement of anything on the drive.

Not to mention a 64gb SSD can hold windows 7 ultimate, and is relatively cheap.
m
l
!