gam3r18

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

What psu would u recommend?
And is 500W not enough for my system?

gam3r18

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

Wouldn't that be a step down from the AMD processor I chose? The 2120 is a dual core while the phenom ii I chose is a quad.

EDIT: I read more about that 2120.. Didn't think a core i3 would beat a phenom ii in every gaming benchmark. Thanks Crush. And I'll be sure to change my motherboard too.
Any other suggestions?

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
As far as gaming performance goes, the i5-2500k is the processor that your want. Yes, its $80 more expensive, but you will get so much more power out of it. With the stock air cooler you should have no problem getting an i5 to 4.0 GHz, easily pushing between 4.4 and 5.0 if you get an aftermarket cooler. That AMD chip will probably only overclock to 3.8 GHz.

As far as your question about the 500W power supply, yes, you can definitely run your system on 500W. If you add a second 460 in there you may have to upgrade, but not until then.

tlmck

Distinguished

You can run your system on a 500w for a single video card, 650 watt for dual 560 cards. However, it needs to be at least 80 Plus Certified and not Coolermaster. Trusted brands are Antec, Corsair, XFX Seasonic, Silverstone and OCZ. Coolermaster does make excellent cases and CPU coolers like the Hyper series.

tlmck

Distinguished

The i3 is a multithreaded dual core that acts like a quad. Since your aim is gaming, Intel is really the only smart choice. Preferably pair it with a Gigabyte or ASUS z68 motherboard. If you plan on dual video cards later, get a board that supports 2 x16 slots running at x8 speed each. The lower end z68 boards will have dual slots that run at x16 and x4 which will be fine for a single card rig.

gam3r18

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
I guess I'll have to do some tweaking on my specs lol. What gpus do u guys prefer for gaming? I don't want to get the highest end card available, but I was thinking of spending about a good 100-200 dollars on a nice one :)

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Originally I would have said that since you are on a budget, I would encourage you to go with a Radeon card since they are typically cheaper than the nVidia cards and how similar performance, however, looking at the cards in your price range, they seem about the same, so I would probably say go with nVidia since their drivers are better.

Just FYI, ATI Radeon HD6870 = GeForce GTX 560

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Ivy Bridge will be nice for those of us who have to have the best out the regardless of the cost. :)

It is projected to be a 12-16% increase over the Sandy Bridge processors and use less power.

Honestly I would just stick with a Sandy Bridge for now and when the price of the Ivy Bridge processors come down in a year or so it will be worth the upgrade.

morgoth780

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011

4gb is usually enough, but i'd still recommend you get 8gb cause sometimes more than 4gb of ram will be used in some games...besides, its only $20 more

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
That really depends on a few factors, mostly dependent on how much multitasking you do.

First off though, what version of windows do you have? 32 bit or 64 bit? If you have 32 bit, windows will only recognize 4 GB of RAM, so it would be pointless to put more in. If you do have 64 bit windows, I would probably suggest going with 8 GB.

Typically when im playing games I also have iTunes running with music and a few browsers open and I am taking over skype or vent to people. I probably max out my RAM usage at 6 GB.

For the most part, a game by itself will not use more than 2 GB of RAM.

gam3r18

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
I'm going to be using Windows 7. Definitely 64 bit. I currently have a 32 bit gateway laptop and it sucks. All around sucks. That's why I'm building a gaming computer myself.

tlmck

Distinguished

If you spend a little more on a z68 Gen 3 motherboard, you will be all ready to upgrade to Ivy bridge later. These boards are a bit more expensive, so you might weigh your options there.

gam3r18

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Wow, you hit the nail on the head budget wise. And i took a look at the specs you posted and you have a very nice rig there. Thank you all very much for your input on on my specs. I greatly appreciate it.

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
get what the guy above posted

instead of corsair vengeance ram try getting G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz or 1333 mhz and all is good...

you can live with that setup until you can find some cash to upgrade into a real extreme system(not literally) but i say what above is great and can give you a nice experience in gaming + it lets you do extra stuff too due to more cores if you like to do other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.