First build cant access boot screen

abstract

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2012
Hi, I have been ordering parts off newegg to build my own computer. It is nearly done and i am just waiting on the video card and hard drive. I have my:

-Motherboard (ASRock Z68 Pro3-M)
-Cpu (Intel i5 2500k LGA 1155)
-PSU (OCZ Fatality 550W)
-DvD combo drive (cheap ass crap)
-RAM (4GB 1600 Mhz x2)

And now i am no computer pro but im pretty sure that with all i have here i should be able to access a boot screen ? am i wrong do i have to have a Hard drive hooked up? and if i am right and i should be able to access a boot screen i cant

I hit the power button everything turns on fans spinning power LED turns on but nothing shows on my monitor now i hear ppl say the i5 2500k has a GPU and some say it dose not but my Z68 has video ports so i would assume even if it wasnt i dont need it to be ?

or maybe do i just need the video card because the cpu may not have a built in gpu?

any advice would be greatly appreaciated thanks in advanced

abstract

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2012
ok i thought there was but am i needing a hard drive then to even see boot screen ? why isnt it showing does anyone know of a comon problem that could be causeing me not to see anything after it starts.

abstract

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2012
Hey ya just found out my problem was that my 8 pin power connector for the motherboard wasnt plugged in lol just notice it was even there feel pretty dumb but would like to thank toms hardware for the quick response