PCMCIA GSM/GPRS card w/external antenna needed

Last response: in Technologies
Share
June 28, 2005 2:00:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

I have the T-mobile unlimited GSM/GPRS service, which is fine when it
works. The plan came with a Sony GC79 WiFi/GPRS combo card, which only
has an internal antenna. Unfortunately the T-Mobile coverage here in
Silicon Valley is kind of spotty, and it's often hard to find a usable
signal without a "real" antenna.

What I need is a GSM/GPRS PCMCIA card that has an external antenna
jack. It'd be nice if it also did WiFi, but that's not essential.

BTW, I alredy know about the Sony GC82. That'd be perfect, except
that I've never seen one for sale that wasn't locked to AT&T, and
nobody can unlock them. They're just paper weights as far as I can
see.

Thanks,
Bob Armstrong
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 2:23:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

The Sierra Wireless cards are all over Ebay, and they have an antenna
and work fine.

On 28 Jun 2005 10:00:20 -0700, bob@jfcl.com wrote:

> I have the T-mobile unlimited GSM/GPRS service, which is fine when it
>works. The plan came with a Sony GC79 WiFi/GPRS combo card, which only
>has an internal antenna. Unfortunately the T-Mobile coverage here in
>Silicon Valley is kind of spotty, and it's often hard to find a usable
>signal without a "real" antenna.
>
> What I need is a GSM/GPRS PCMCIA card that has an external antenna
>jack. It'd be nice if it also did WiFi, but that's not essential.
>
> BTW, I alredy know about the Sony GC82. That'd be perfect, except
>that I've never seen one for sale that wasn't locked to AT&T, and
>nobody can unlock them. They're just paper weights as far as I can
>see.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob Armstrong

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 1:33:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

Also look for the Merlin G100 cards.

"Bruce Markowitz" <scosgt@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> The Sierra Wireless cards are all over Ebay, and they have an antenna
> and work fine.
>
> On 28 Jun 2005 10:00:20 -0700, bob@jfcl.com wrote:
>
>> I have the T-mobile unlimited GSM/GPRS service, which is fine when it
>>works. The plan came with a Sony GC79 WiFi/GPRS combo card, which only
>>has an internal antenna. Unfortunately the T-Mobile coverage here in
>>Silicon Valley is kind of spotty, and it's often hard to find a usable
>>signal without a "real" antenna.
>>
>> What I need is a GSM/GPRS PCMCIA card that has an external antenna
>>jack. It'd be nice if it also did WiFi, but that's not essential.
>>
>> BTW, I alredy know about the Sony GC82. That'd be perfect, except
>>that I've never seen one for sale that wasn't locked to AT&T, and
>>nobody can unlock them. They're just paper weights as far as I can
>>see.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Bob Armstrong

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 10:00:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <1119978020.406643.41490@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> on 28 Jun 2005
10:00:20 -0700, bob@jfcl.com wrote:

> I have the T-mobile unlimited GSM/GPRS service, which is fine when it
>works. The plan came with a Sony GC79 WiFi/GPRS combo card, which only
>has an internal antenna. Unfortunately the T-Mobile coverage here in
>Silicon Valley is kind of spotty, and it's often hard to find a usable
>signal without a "real" antenna.
>
> What I need is a GSM/GPRS PCMCIA card that has an external antenna
>jack. It'd be nice if it also did WiFi, but that's not essential.
>
> BTW, I alredy know about the Sony GC82. That'd be perfect, except
>that I've never seen one for sale that wasn't locked to AT&T, and
>nobody can unlock them. They're just paper weights as far as I can
>see.

I've seen unlocked GC82 cards on eBay frequently. That's where I got mine.