PCMCIA GSM/GPRS card w/external antenna needed

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

I have the T-mobile unlimited GSM/GPRS service, which is fine when it
works. The plan came with a Sony GC79 WiFi/GPRS combo card, which only
has an internal antenna. Unfortunately the T-Mobile coverage here in
Silicon Valley is kind of spotty, and it's often hard to find a usable
signal without a "real" antenna.

What I need is a GSM/GPRS PCMCIA card that has an external antenna
jack. It'd be nice if it also did WiFi, but that's not essential.

BTW, I alredy know about the Sony GC82. That'd be perfect, except
that I've never seen one for sale that wasn't locked to AT&T, and
nobody can unlock them. They're just paper weights as far as I can
see.

Thanks,
Bob Armstrong
3 answers Last reply
More about pcmcia gprs card external antenna needed
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    The Sierra Wireless cards are all over Ebay, and they have an antenna
    and work fine.

    On 28 Jun 2005 10:00:20 -0700, bob@jfcl.com wrote:

    > I have the T-mobile unlimited GSM/GPRS service, which is fine when it
    >works. The plan came with a Sony GC79 WiFi/GPRS combo card, which only
    >has an internal antenna. Unfortunately the T-Mobile coverage here in
    >Silicon Valley is kind of spotty, and it's often hard to find a usable
    >signal without a "real" antenna.
    >
    > What I need is a GSM/GPRS PCMCIA card that has an external antenna
    >jack. It'd be nice if it also did WiFi, but that's not essential.
    >
    > BTW, I alredy know about the Sony GC82. That'd be perfect, except
    >that I've never seen one for sale that wasn't locked to AT&T, and
    >nobody can unlock them. They're just paper weights as far as I can
    >see.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Bob Armstrong

  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    Also look for the Merlin G100 cards.

    "Bruce Markowitz" <scosgt@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > The Sierra Wireless cards are all over Ebay, and they have an antenna
    > and work fine.
    >
    > On 28 Jun 2005 10:00:20 -0700, bob@jfcl.com wrote:
    >
    >> I have the T-mobile unlimited GSM/GPRS service, which is fine when it
    >>works. The plan came with a Sony GC79 WiFi/GPRS combo card, which only
    >>has an internal antenna. Unfortunately the T-Mobile coverage here in
    >>Silicon Valley is kind of spotty, and it's often hard to find a usable
    >>signal without a "real" antenna.
    >>
    >> What I need is a GSM/GPRS PCMCIA card that has an external antenna
    >>jack. It'd be nice if it also did WiFi, but that's not essential.
    >>
    >> BTW, I alredy know about the Sony GC82. That'd be perfect, except
    >>that I've never seen one for sale that wasn't locked to AT&T, and
    >>nobody can unlock them. They're just paper weights as far as I can
    >>see.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Bob Armstrong

  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <1119978020.406643.41490@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> on 28 Jun 2005
    10:00:20 -0700, bob@jfcl.com wrote:

    > I have the T-mobile unlimited GSM/GPRS service, which is fine when it
    >works. The plan came with a Sony GC79 WiFi/GPRS combo card, which only
    >has an internal antenna. Unfortunately the T-Mobile coverage here in
    >Silicon Valley is kind of spotty, and it's often hard to find a usable
    >signal without a "real" antenna.
    >
    > What I need is a GSM/GPRS PCMCIA card that has an external antenna
    >jack. It'd be nice if it also did WiFi, but that's not essential.
    >
    > BTW, I alredy know about the Sony GC82. That'd be perfect, except
    >that I've never seen one for sale that wasn't locked to AT&T, and
    >nobody can unlock them. They're just paper weights as far as I can
    >see.

    I've seen unlocked GC82 cards on eBay frequently. That's where I got mine.

GSM Mobile Sony PCMCIA WiFi