BOOTMGR Missing Windows 7 Ultimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cannabishead

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
A friend of mine was trowing away his old pc (minus the ram and hdd that he kept for himself) So I offered to adopt it and try to make some good use of it. I found two 512mb sticks of ram so I threw them in there. Then I took my 3rd hdd (which was blank at one point in time and use solely for storage). Wiped everything from it then, using my main pc, installed windows 7 ultimate 32 bit. After the install was complete I was able to boot 7 off the third drive on my main pc. So I removed the drive changed it from slave to CS And connected it to the throw away pc. There is only one hdd and it has 7 installed on it. But when I turn on the pc it brings me to a black screen that says Missing BOOTMGR Pres CTRL, ALT, Delete to restart. So after checking some forums it says to insert the 7 recovery disk. When I do so it will bring me to a screen that says loading windows.. It will load fully then the screen flashes off then back on and it remains stuck on a black screen for as long as I will let it run.

A few things I'm wondering. Would it be easier if I was to do this with xp? As the old pc is not so new technology.

In a couple of weeks here I am doing some upgrades on my main pc which will include a new motherboard a new blank tb hdd and some new ram. Am I going to run in to the same problems?

When installing the os onto the blank drive am I supposed to do it from my main pc wihch is already running vista or do I install it from the second pc which needs the hdd and os in the first place?

The old pc has an IDE HD and A DVD drive. I have tried the HD set as master and CS and still have the same issues. And I'm not entirely sure because it isn't labeled but I think the DVD drive is on CS as well. What are the proper settings?

Does it matter that the HD isn't new and has been wiped?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Solution
[fixed] I took my 3rd hdd. Wiped everything from it then, using my main pc, installed windows 7 ultimate 32 bit. After the install was complete I was able to boot 7 off the third drive on my main pc.

So I removed the drive changed it from slave to CS And connected it to the throw away pc.

There is only one hdd and it has 7 installed on it.

But when I turn on the pc it brings me to a black screen that says Missing BOOTMGR Pres CTRL, ALT, Delete to restart. [/fixed]
U know, u are off to the bad start, when u use to install Windows on one PC and use the HDD on another one.

Having said that, your performance will be off, plus errors and driver conflicts well be surely bugging u.

The best is always perform a clean install.

Windows 7...
[fixed] I took my 3rd hdd. Wiped everything from it then, using my main pc, installed windows 7 ultimate 32 bit. After the install was complete I was able to boot 7 off the third drive on my main pc.

So I removed the drive changed it from slave to CS And connected it to the throw away pc.

There is only one hdd and it has 7 installed on it.

But when I turn on the pc it brings me to a black screen that says Missing BOOTMGR Pres CTRL, ALT, Delete to restart. [/fixed]
U know, u are off to the bad start, when u use to install Windows on one PC and use the HDD on another one.

Having said that, your performance will be off, plus errors and driver conflicts well be surely bugging u.

The best is always perform a clean install.

Windows 7 Clean Install + Screens

Solution
Perform the following methods to resolve the issue:
Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)
============================================
1. Insert the Windows 7 installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.
2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.
3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next.
6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.
7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2: Rebuild BCD using the Bootrec.exe tool
============================================
To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when you are prompted. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.

3. Click Repair your computer.

4. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

6. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

---------

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-bootmgr-is-missing-resolved-using-winre/8bb148bc-8035-4847-9696-888f7a0a9720

cannabishead

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Thanks guys I figured it out. I needed to wipe the drive using my main pc then movie it over to the 2nd pc and throw in the disk and went through the steps. The reason I kept blue screening is because I had two non matching sticks of ram. Noobish I know but Be sure to make sure the ram matches the pc value specified by mobo. Thanks again guys. I'm on my way to a new desktop.

And about the multiple posts thing. I wasn't sure which forum I was supoosed to ask in. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.