560 Ti FPS Drop after Sleep

lordliny

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
My new build has been getting huge fps drops on graphics heavy games ever since i assembled it. When it boots, games will run fine around 60-80 fps. Some time afterwards during the day, the fps will drop to 15-30. Just restarting my computer will fix the problem but it will eventually drop again.
I've updated the drivers and the problem persists. I've never seen the gpu get higher than 60 degrees.

i5 2500K not OC
8GB RAM
MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)
Windows 7 64-bit
EVGA GTX 560 Ti no SLI
Cooler Master GX 650W

Edit:FPS only bad after pc wakes up.

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
1) OC your CPU!!!! Takes like 30 seconds.

2) Download MSI afterburner- expand the performane monitor and make sure it is recording at least framerate, gpu useage, and temps. Take a look at the times when the fps is dropping. Are these demanding portions of your games? Letting us know what games and resolutions this is occurring could be helpful (it could be normal performance).

lordliny

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
One quick thing i just noticed, the fps only starts to drop after the computer has gone to sleep. I have to actually press the power button just to wake it up. After it has woken up, that is when all my games will have terrible fps. I'll look into this further.
Anyway...

I always play the big new games (BF3, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, etc) on 1440 x 900 resolution. The low fps becomes the worst when i get a look at a big wide view where i can see just about the entire map. Looking somewhere where the game doesn't have to render as much, the fps rises to somewhere around 30.

G

I've seen a lot of issues with the newest nVidia cards and power management. I upgraded a friends computer with a 560ti and we immediately saw issues in the form of crashing and blue screens. The only solution we got was to change the power management setting in the nVidia control panel to Performance mode and to disable sleep mode on the PC. You can still have it shut off the monitor after 20 minutes or so, but I would suggest turning off automatic suspend/hibernate mode complately for a desktop and only put it in those modes on demand.

lordliny

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

I don't suppose upgrading my psu would help?