HWMonitor show 12v at 7.8v ?

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
On HWMonitor programme, under the mobo voltage (Asus 08z77 WS) the +12v show value between 7.08 and 7.14.

When I take a look at the 12v value on my bios (when I press delete upon booting) and take a look at my voltage value it show 12.195v

Now here is my spec:

i5-3570k
670gtx sli
PSU: aw1200w Corsair
Ram: 4x4gb corsair vengence

Everything run on stock (no overclocking yet).

So I am wondering are the value read on the HWMonitor mean that my PSU (or somehow my wall device) fail ?

Or is it just show around 7v because I'm not needing a lot of power compare to what the PSU can provide so it lower the volatge ?

I suffer from my Nvidia driver to stop responding everytimes I play a demanding game on sli mode but going single GPU (tried both card that I have on single card mode) seem to have no problem outside somewhat a low FPS (60fps max on batman arkham city on a 720p resolution, below 8000score on 3dmark11).

InvalidError

Titan

The 12V rail's primary function in modern PCs is to feed point-of-load regulators and those are designed to expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 12V at their input. Some devices like HDDs use the 12V directly to drive the spindle motor and head assembly actuator. Lowering the 12V rail could cause malfunctions if the various regulators and controllers were not designed for it. Even if they were, most loads and functions require constant power so lowering rail voltage would simply cause devices to draw more current which means more resistive and switching losses. It is more power-efficient, easier and safer to leave the 12V rail at 12-13V.

The vast majority of PSUs use group-regulated outputs which actually makes this simply impossible in the first place.