Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intell cpu's for home desktop use

Last response: in CPUs
June 17, 2012 3:22:55 PM

I'm going to replace my old motherboard and processor with a new intell cpu for home use. I don't play games just surf the web and use word/excel documents. Money is not an obstacle but I don't want to buy more power than I can or will use. I also want to make sure I have enough power for 3 or 4 years down the road.

Any suggestions on the fastest cpu for my needs without getting into overkill?
a c 471 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 17, 2012 4:13:14 PM

Since your needs are not at all demanding you can actually choose any modern AMD or Intel CPU. Unless of course you are doing financial modelling with Excel, then you need some "oomph".

You can going with a Pentium G620 or Llano A4-3400 for under $75.

You can go up the food chain and get a FX-6200 or Core i5-2310 for $160 - $180.

The performance will more or less be the same for your needs. Excluding financial modelling...
m
l

Best solution

a c 146 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 17, 2012 4:25:55 PM

I would say either a Sandy Bridge Pentium or an I3. The Pentium is a single core processor like the old Pentium but it's based off the Sandy Bridges architecture so it will be a good bit faster than the old Pentium processors. Since you're not going to be doing anything to demanding with it you can probably get away with the Pentium. If you wanted to go the next step up and IMO I would, take a look a the I3 processors. The I3 is a dual core processor with hyperthreading so if you are really putting a heavy demand on the CPU it will act like a quad core processor. Either one of those would be fine for what you need an I5 or I7 would be way overkill for your needs.
June 27, 2012 1:57:24 AM

Best answer selected by NormT.
m
l
!