Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HD 6870's Crossfire lag?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 30, 2011 4:43:51 PM

Hey everyone

I received a second Sapphire HD 6870 for Christmas this year, and after placing it in Crossfire with the other one in my case (Exact same one) I've been getting some strange problems.

I was playing some Battlefield 3, and the game was really laggy, it would freeze every 2-3 seconds for a second. I tested both cards separately in both slots and the game ran perfect. It's only in Crossfire that the game would do this.

I also encountered a BSOD with error 0x0000007E, I read up on it, but the explanation is so broad that I don't know where to start.

If anyone could give me a hand, it would be great. I can post a speccy printout of my specs if you'd like.

More about : 6870 crossfire lag

a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 4:49:35 PM

Whats the lane speed for the second card ?
December 30, 2011 4:55:22 PM

I'm not too sure, but the motherboard says CrossfireX Ready, so I assume the same as the top one. They have different release clapms on the slots, the top one is just a piece of plastic you lift up, and the other one is a plastic button of sorts you push down on to release the card. Not too sure if that will tell you.

Any way I can check and see?
Related resources
a c 75 U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 4:55:30 PM

what are your specs?
what is your psu model/amps on +12v rail(s)?
are you experiencing some thing similar to this?
do you have the latest catalyst drivers and bf3 patches installed?
last noob question: did you properly attach the cfx bridge?
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 5:02:45 PM

mm911 said:
I'm not too sure, but the motherboard says CrossfireX Ready, so I assume the same as the top one. They have different release clapms on the slots, the top one is just a piece of plastic you lift up, and the other one is a plastic button of sorts you push down on to release the card. Not too sure if that will tell you.

Any way I can check and see?

Are the lanes different colors or the same ?
December 30, 2011 5:08:51 PM

Here are my basic specs:

^This is just with one video card installed, not both

I assume by lanes, you mean slots, and yes, they are the same color.

My PSU is a Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro.

I have the latest Catalyst Drivers (I downgraded a couple drivers, then upgraded a couple till it was the latest, the problem didn't go away) and BF3 has the latest patches.

Is there a specific way the crossfire bridge has to go on orientation wise? I just plugged each end into the contacts sticking out without caring which way it was placed.

Also, de5_roy, that problem you mentioned was an interesting read, but it's not the issue. D:
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 5:13:36 PM

mm911 said:
Here are my basic specs:
http://i.imgur.com/F3fsk.png

I have the latest Catalyst Drivers (I downgraded a couple drivers, then upgraded a couple till it was the latest, the problem didn't go away) and BF3 has the latest patches.

Is there a specific way the crossfire bridge has to go on orientation wise? I just plugged each end into the contacts sticking out without caring which way it was placed.

Also, de5_roy, that problem you mentioned was an interesting read, but it's not the issue. D:

Well we need to find out if that 2nd PCI-E lane is 4x or not because I am pretty sure that's the problem you are experiencing whats the model of board you are running so I can find out ?
a c 75 U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 5:14:22 PM

is your cpu running at stock speed or overclocked?
December 30, 2011 5:16:07 PM

The CPU is running at stock speed, not overclocked.
a c 75 U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 5:18:56 PM

do you experience your problem only with bf3 or with all games?
i'd suggest using a after market cooler to overclock the cpu a bit and check if the lag goes away. since bf3 is mostly gpu bound game, cpu shoudln't be the problem.
also you shouldn't attempt overclocking unless you know what you're doing.
you could also try running the game with vsync enabled if you haven't tried that already (i don't know how that'd go with two different displays).

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 5:19:08 PM

mm911 said:
Here are my basic specs:
http://i.imgur.com/F3fsk.png

^This is just with one video card installed, not both

you only need 1 bridge(unless specificaly mentioned by card manufacturer),orientation doesnt matter.
with 2 cards you are running at 8x/8x.cards should be in both light blue slots.
psu is fine.

one thing to try:
1-remove drivers and profiles using add/remove programs,shut down.
2-remove second card,restart,install drivers and profiles.
3-shut down and install second card(with bridge and power connectors plugged in.
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 5:24:28 PM

Earnie said:
you only need 1 bridge(unless specificaly mentioned by card manufacturer),orientation doesnt matter.
psu is fine.

one thing to try:
3-shut down and install second card(with bridge and power connectors plugged in .

If its running in 8x/8x speed it would be fine but this problem he is experiencing is synonymous with 16x/4x Crossfire operation.
December 30, 2011 6:12:06 PM

Headspin_69 said:
Well we need to find out if that 2nd PCI-E lane is 4x or not because I am pretty sure that's the problem you are experiencing whats the model of board you are running so I can find out ?

The model is

Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H

It has a ATI Crossfire X Technology logo on the back, so I assume so.
December 30, 2011 6:17:18 PM

de5_Roy said:
do you experience your problem only with bf3 or with all games?
i'd suggest using a after market cooler to overclock the cpu a bit and check if the lag goes away. since bf3 is mostly gpu bound game, cpu shoudln't be the problem.
also you shouldn't attempt overclocking unless you know what you're doing.
you could also try running the game with vsync enabled if you haven't tried that already (i don't know how that'd go with two different displays).

Never done overclocking, so I'm not going to touch it. :p 

Should I run Furmark in an attempt to see if it botches up there?

I only run the game on one display, not across two, would vsync screw something up in that regard if I were to turn it on?
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 6:20:55 PM

mm911 said:
The model is

Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H

It has a ATI Crossfire X Technology logo on the back, so I assume so.

Crossfire X Technology logo on the back thats just marketing so does my mobo box but the second lane is 4x on mine.

December 30, 2011 6:25:46 PM

Headspin_69 said:
Crossfire X Technology logo on the back thats just marketing so does my mobo box but the second lane is 4x on mine.

well, i looked up on their website and it says that it's a 16x slot and it runs at 8x in crossfire, so I'm good.
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 6:39:04 PM

he is running 8x on the slots
December 30, 2011 8:30:46 PM

Best answer selected by mm911.
December 30, 2011 8:31:23 PM

Earnie said:
psu is fine.

one thing to try:
3-shut down and install second card(with bridge and power connectors plugged in.

This, along with (for some reason) putting the new card in the top slot and the old one in the bottom slot, fixed the problem. Thanks folks! :D 
!