Dissapearing CD drives "SOLVED"

DGP_2000

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
Ok , I've searched this forum for similar topics such as "DISAPPEARING DRIVES" & have a similar problem .

System specs.
AMD classic 650/160mb ram
MSI K7Pro 6195
Elsa Gladiac 32mb GTS
(2) Maxtor HD's
Creative 12x10x32 CD/RW
Generic 48x CD

This computer has been running the same setup for some time now & untill the other night when trying to play Giants for the second time , both cd drives are missing in Device Manager & under "Harddisk Controllers" there are the YELLOW EXLAMATION POINTS for both the Primary & Secondary IDE Controllers . (This device is either not present , not working properly or does not have all of the drivers installed)Although the "STANDARD DUAL PCI IDE CONTROLLER" is working properly.

Have tried to get rid of the problem such as Removing the drivers & having Windows reboot & reload them but to no luck .

HELP !?!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DGP_2000 on 04/13/01 03:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Removing the drivers while in "Safe Mode" is the key.

Chances are that there are several additional drivers that are causing an IRQ conflict. In short, Windows has too many drivers to choose from, so doesn't load any for the second IDE channel.

It is usually necessary to remove all drivers for the Floppy drive, Cd-Rom, Zip drives, etc. since the next time the computer is booted they will be configured differently, thus adding another duplicate to any existing entries.

This sometimes involves removing all sound drivers also, which will then be re-installed during the next bootup.

In any case, some fine tuning within the BIOS for IRQs assigned to the regular peripherals will help to avoid this from happening.

Hope this helps...

Computer quit?
Go do something useful...

DGP_2000

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
So far , no luck in doing any of the things mentioned .

Not worrying too much about it though , for my upgrade is just around the corner : )

G

Appreciate the follow up replies.

No doubt, proprietary machines have proprietary fixes.
Easier to accomplish when the drivers are readily available when Windows asks for them.

Computer quit?

DGP_2000

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
I've been to more than a few Forums on this matter & no one seems to know how or why the drive/s vanish but there are plenty of people with the problem with no solutions at hand .

Just found something that might help in the solution ............ In System Properties under Performance it lists :
Compatibilty-mode paging reduces overall system performance
Drive C: is using MS Dos Compatibility mode file system
Drive D: is using MS Dos Compatibility mode file system
Here's what it says when I click on either drive :

This problem often occurs on more than one drive. Usually it is caused by a driver listed in the Config.sys file that Windows does not recognize and that is related to the message Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance. If you see both messages, see the Help for the Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance message first.
If you only see the message Drive X is using an MS-DOS compatibility mode file system on one drive, that drive is using an MS-DOS compatibility (real-mode) driver, which may reduce that drive’s performance. Contact your hardware manufacturer to see if an updated driver is available for your drive. If not, the drive’s performance may be less than optimal, but you can still use it.

And the details on "Compatibilty-mode paging reduces overall system performance" :
Windows was unable to identify a real-mode driver or memory-resident program loaded in your Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file. You will see another message that lists the name of the driver or program causing the problem.
Because Windows could not identify the driver or program, it has switched to MS-DOS compatibility mode to ensure the program will run. However, this decreases overall performance. To improve performance, remove the program or driver causing the problem, or contact its manufacturer for an upgraded version.

Anyone have a clue ? ......... & yes , my whole computer is VERY sluggish since this has occured .

G

Windows hides the c:\windows\inf folder.

From the View>Options menu of Windows Explorer, you can see this folder after placing a check mark in the "Show all files" option.

From Windows Explorer, highlight the windows\inf folder, right click, and click Properties. Uncheck Hidden and Read Only.

In the Device Manager box, open the Hard Drive Controller, highlight the IDE controller (if it appears), or the Primary IDE controller (if it appears), click on Properties, choose the Driver tab and Update the drivers by leading Windows to the c:\Windows\Inf folder.

Might have to check all of the Inf subfolders before finding the IDE Controller drivers.

Maybe work... Maybe Not... Worth a try, anyway...

Computer quit?

DGP_2000

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
Alright , I tried what you suggested & pointed it towards the Windows INF. but it says Windows is already using the Best driver for this device .

OK here's another thing I've noticed in "System Information" - Conflicts/Sharing - IRQ's..........

IRQ14 Primary IDE Controller
IRQ14 Standard PCI Dual IDE Controller
IRQ15 Secondary IDE Controller
IRQ15 Standard PCI Dual IDE Controller

Anything wrong with this picture ????
How do I solve this dilemma ? ......... Or is it a problem ?

Thanks alot for sticking with me on this OLDHERMIT :)

G

Hey DGP... I just resolved this very same issue on a Win2k box.

Here's the Microsoft Knowledge Base article number: Q270008 which can be found at http://support.microsoft.com.

The issue involves two registry setting changes to 'UpperFilters' and 'LowerFilters' (actually, you delete 'em) and removing Windows Media Player 7. When you're done and have rebooted, you can go to www.microsoft.com/windowsmedia and download a newer Ver. 7 of the player and install it with no problems.

I did everything the KB article suggested, then re-installed Easy CD Creator and Direct CD with no issues.

Good luck!

G

Looks like Duskrider has the key.

The IRQ statements are correct since the PCI bus allows for sharing IRQs. Other statements such as "IRQ holder for PCI steering" indicate an IRQ that is available.

Performing all of the basics, I usually start back-tracking to the last change made to the computer, even if it means removal of a program.

This case is rather extreme since nothing loads correctly.
But generally, the more severe the problem, the more experience that will show up to help, and would encourage following through until the solution is found.

Computer quit?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by oldhermit on 04/13/01 03:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

DGP_2000

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
FINALLY ...... Have resolved the issue !

Thanks to the two people that helped OldHermit & DuskRider !

Duskrider : I went to Microsoft site & did some searching on that article# you posted but it was'nt pertaining to my problem but it did lead me in the right direction , for I did a search & came up with "MY" problem & a solution for it :)

OldHermit : Also thanks to you I did'nt go in & change any IRQ's/Settings ETC. **G**

If anyone else has this problem in the future , here's the solution ...........

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q151/9/11.ASP

G

Good to know that.

I made an important discovery during this process, and also changed my signature.

There is always a way...

G

You're welcome.

Thanks for sharing the solution that DID work... I've lost way, way too many hours to these kinds of issues, so more info in my knowledge base helps!

TRENDING THREADS