Please recomend an UPS.

manpreet66

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
I want 3-5 min backup time to shut down the system properly.

PSU would be either SeaSonic s12 ii 620w or Corsair TX 650w.

The problem is, I cant afford a sinewave ups or even a normal APC.

Can I use a cheap local brand UPS for my situation or will it be risky?

Can a cheap ups damage my psu or other components?

Also, does the output of the ups has to be greater than rated wattage of PSU (for example: > 620w/650w) ?

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
What is your budget?

I can't say I know of any situations that a UPS has damaged a PSU. The UPS doesn't have to be stronger than your PSU since higher wattage from the UPS will give you longer time to save and shutdown.

One good reason to buy a UPS is to ride through transient power glitches, and avoid false alarms.

To do that properly, I would look first to APC.
Their web site will have a size selection calculator.

If you can't afford APC, then I would wait until you can. I think they make the best.

That said, I don't think a cheap unit is likely to harm your pc.
But it is false economy to find out that it does not do the job, and have to buy a better unit later.

The only choices you have are to get a pure sinewave UPS or to get a SMPS that is able to work with a simulated sinewave UPS.

The Seasonic S12II Bronze Series 620W is known to have compatibility problems with simulated sinewave UPS'. During a power grid interruption when the UPS switches over to battery operation the SMPS will just shut down not giving you any time to save anything.

You never specified the exact model number of the Corsair TX650 you were considering:
CMPSU-650TX (Discontinued), OEM: Seasonic
CMPSU-650TX-C (Discontinued), OEM: CWT
CMPSU-650TXV2, OEM: Seasonic <--- This one is based on the same Seasonic S12II/M12II Bronze Series 620W platform so will have the same UPS compatibility problems.

manpreet66

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012

then can you recommend a psu as well that can work in my situation with a normal ups?

Which retailer or online computer parts store do you purchase from? This is so that I can get an idea of what brands and models are available at your location.

Most SMPS review sites do not test for UPS compatibility.

X-bit labs is the only one that I know of that does a UPS compatibility test. They don't review as many SMPS' as I would like to see.

I know that the Corsair AX650 and Seasonic X-Series 660 Watt (SS-660KM), that they've tested, worked properly with a simulated sinewave UPS (i.e. an APC SmartUPS SC 620).

The Seasonic X-series 560 Watt (SS-560KM) that they also tested didn't work properly with the APC SmartUPS SC 620. This just proves that you can't make generalizations about any SMPS series. You have to research the specific model you are considering.