Freeze in game / No BSOD / no overheating

olliewilldie

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Hi all.

I have been having this problem foooor about 3-4 months now and have tried various quick fixes (buying new hardware). In games such as Civ 5 / BF3 etc etc I will get a random freeze sometimes after 30 mins sometimes 2/3/4 hours occasionally with a sound loop but mostly just a freeze. I have monitored temps and nothing seems to go major high.

I have ran Memtest overnight all fine, checkdsk several times no problems. Furmark for a few hours which maxed at 79 degrees, drivers up to date (I think....). I really am at a total loss here now. I will list my parts below and the rough age of said parts. If I miss something useful please tell me and I'll try and get it.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 3/2/2012, 07:50:13
Machine name: FEDUP-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-880GM-USB3 (a month or so old)
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz (a month or so)
RAM: Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 Desktop Memory 4GB (3 months)
Graphics Card: MSI ATI Radeon HD 6850 Cyclone Power Edition 1024MB GDDR5 (month or so)
PSU: CX500 (a year or so)
No separate soundcard so realtek hd iirc
Seagate OEM 500GB Barracuda 3.5 inch 7200.12 Internal Hard Disk Drive (7200RPM, SATA, 16MB Cache) (5 months)

Please help!!!!

Anything I have missed / you need please let me what it is. My knowledge isn't that great but I can get various readings from the BIOS etc if that might help / you tell me which ones.

Many thanks

Edit - Forgot to say when it freezes the ONLY thing I can do is a reset, ctrl alt del does nothing / keyboard totally unresponsive etc.

shadowAMD

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

I think the only difference between our machines is I have the 960T unlocked to hexacore, but they are similar and TBH I have no issues.

Three things:

Are your drivers up to date?
Have you tried to overclock it? I'm asking because that's what you buy a Black Edition for.

What's your CPU, GPU temp on load?

How many Watt's is your PSU?

Need more info please :)

olliewilldie

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
GPU full load was 79~
CPU Ill test when I get home and report back
500W PSU

No not overclocked got it because it was on special offer!
As far as I know my drivers are up to date yea, i recently got some new graphics card drivers anyway (like 3 days ago)

olliewilldie

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Seems like my RAM was faulty even though it was passing Memtest which is very strange indeed. Replaced it today and PC has been up and running for 7~ hours in various games / ps3 media server etc etc.

olliewilldie

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
I ran Memtest OVERNIGHT which came back with no errors so clearly Memtest was useless. It doesn't make sense to me at all but yea 100% confirmed now to be fixed. Left the PC on all weekend, played some games / used the PS3 media server etc etc not a single freeze.

I only purchased the new RAM out of desperation to be honest, there was nothing to say it was faulty at all just turns out I got lucky.