500 Watt PSU for unlocked 6950 and overclocked 965?

I just ordered a bunch of parts this weekend to build my computer later this week. I've been reading up on overclocking and unlocking the 6950 and was wondering if I could do it.
This is the PSU I bought
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703035

I basically just want to overclock my amd 965 black edition to 3.8ghz. I also ordered the hyper 212+ to help.

I boughhg the sapphire Radeon 6950 OC edition which I read in the reviews some people were able to unlock.

So will PSU be good enought to handle it?
11 answers Last reply
More about watt unlocked 6950 overclocked
  1. 500W is cutting it close, especially with a PSU brand that isn't that well known. If at all possible, I would get at least 600W, and get from the following brands; Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, and some Antec's.

    PSU's are best kept at 50% - 70% load, anymore than that and it degrades your PSU. The best amount I estimated was around 400W at near full load.

    http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power

    Put in all your parts and see what you will be using, then add around 150-200 extra watts to be safe.
  2. rocknrollz said:
    500W is cutting it close, especially with a PSU brand that isn't that well known. If at all possible, I would get at least 600W, and get from the following brands; Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, and some Antec's.


    Oh really? I was going to get this PSU originally
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

    But I got the PSU I listed in the OP because it was recommended around here.
  3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

    10% off + $20 rebate

    EDIT:

    That is the CX series. AKA - Budget series, they have been known to go out sooner rather than later. I have shown you the TX series, one of the best Corsair PSU's.
  4. Okay but is there absolutely no way the 500w PSU will work? I don't really want to pay a newegg restocking fee.
  5. Fullmetalx said:
    Okay but is there absolutely no way the 500w PSU will work? I don't really want to pay a newegg restocking fee.


    We went over this last night, lol. Why didn't you go for the 550W unit that was linked as well? That PC P&C unit is awesome, but I told you that if you OC'd both the CPU AND GPU (especially if you successfully unlock the 6950), that's cutting it close.

    Edit: Sorry, my memory failed me, lol. It was another 500W unit. In any case case, the one that RockNRollz linked is plenty and very good.

    You have time to cancel the order BTW. It's Sunday, so no processing has been done.
  6. Read the edits to my reply, if you haven't.
  7. DJDeCiBeL said:
    We went over this last night, lol. Why didn't you go for the 550W unit that was linked as well? That PC P&C unit is awesome, but I told you that if you OC'd both the CPU AND GPU (especially if you successfully unlock the 6950), that's cutting it close.


    Haha I was pretty convinced the 6950 would not be unlockable. But after doing some research today and reading some reviews on the card some people did manage to do it. I'm. It gonna overclock the 6950 just unlock it (but I guess they are pretty much the same?).

    Edit: unfortunately my order already shipped.
  8. Fullmetalx said:
    Haha I was pretty convinced the 6950 would not be unlockable. But after doing some research today and reading some reviews on the card some people did manage to do it. I'm. It gonna overclock the 6950 just unlock it (but I guess they are pretty much the same?).

    Edit: unfortunately my order already shipped.


    Damn, that's quick. I wouldn't expect it to ship on a Sunday. Usually processing and shipping only takes place on business days.

    I think you can squeak by on that PC P&C unit, but just don't OC the GPU. It's closer than I would like to cut it, but it SHOULD work.
  9. DJDeCiBeL said:
    Damn, that's quick. I wouldn't expect it to ship on a Sunday. Usually processing and shipping only takes place on business days.

    I think you can squeak by on that PC P&C unit, but just don't OC the GPU. It's closer than I would like to cut it, but it SHOULD work.

    Alright so I can unlock it though right?
  10. Fullmetalx said:
    Alright so I can unlock it though right?


    Try it and see. You'll know the first time you run a GPU intensive game or stress test if it's gonna be safe or not. Although I must admit, I'm not sure I would try Furmark or Kombuster with it.
  11. I have to add this, I would NOT try the 500W PSU. I would just pay the RS fee and ensure that nothing will go wrong. It turns out better in the end.

    ~Personal Experience ~
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Overclocking Components Product