Sign in with
Your question

Took the CPU out to clean the heatsink, and now the computer doesnt bo

Last response: in Components
June 17, 2012 9:03:18 PM

Hi guys, first time posting. As the title says, I took the heatsink out to clean it and it turns out the CPU was stick to it and it came out as well. I took many other components out as well including the CPU fan, the frame fan and the video card (also took out the fan of the video card to clean it). In short, I cleaned my computer thoroughly.

Now my PC doesn't boot. It has two major problems. First, when I connect the power, it turns on immediately (without me pressing the power button) and it stays on but I get no image on the monitor (all the fans and lights turn on tough, and I can hear the hard drive moving). The second problem is that most of the times I press the power button it doesn't fully turn on, but turns on for half a sec and then shuts down. This can happen 3 to 4 times before it stays on after I press the power button.

(Also worth mentioning, when I connects my PC to the power, all the lights turn on but shut down in less than a second, nothing happens after. They just come on and off. Dont know how this relates to the previews problems)

I just reset the Bios or CMOS I have no clue wish one it was, thing is I took out the tiny battery in the MOBO for 15 minutes but it didn't fix it. Also again worth mentioning that my PC is about 5 years old.

That said, something I notice is that when it does turn on with all the fans and lights, is not actually booting. Because after a few minutes of it being on, I press the power button to shut it down and it doesn't work. So I dont think is a display issue, nor a video card issue.

This has never happen before :( 
Little help would be greatly appreciated.
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2012 9:12:51 PM

Did you plug your heatsink's fan back into the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard? The PC won't boot without a fan connected to the CPU fan header.
m
l
June 17, 2012 9:21:54 PM

stickg1 said:
Did you plug your heatsink's fan back into the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard? The PC won't boot without a fan connected to the CPU fan header.

I did, all is back how it used to be before I cleaned it. But now it doesnt boot.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2012 9:37:04 PM

imMara said:
I did, all is back how it used to be before I cleaned it. But now it doesnt boot.

Is there any bent pins on the CPU? Did you undo the locking arm, stick the chip back in, and lock the arm?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2012 9:57:04 PM

'I took the heatsink out to clean it and it turns out the CPU was stick to it and it came out as well' Ouch! That's not supposed to happen! Check VERY carefully for bent pins, and also check the connections to the front panel if they were disturbed, sounds like a permanent short on the Pwr button...
m
l
June 17, 2012 9:58:32 PM

stickg1 said:
Is there any bent pins on the CPU? Did you undo the locking arm, stick the chip back in, and lock the arm?

I did and no, no bent pins. I also did the RAM procedure in wish you boot the system with only one RAM and then swap and try again, but no change still the same problem
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2012 10:01:33 PM

Take the motherboard out of the case, set it on clean cardboard, and only hook up the ATX 20/24pin power, CPU power, GPU, 1 stick of RAM, CPU, CPU heatsink, and take a screw driver and touch the 2 pins marked power +/- that the front panel power button on your case is supposed to plug into. This should boot your computer up. If the CPU is installed correctly and there is no physical damage to it then the problem is elsewhere.
m
l
June 17, 2012 10:02:24 PM

What stick said.
m
l
!