Sign in with
Your question

CPU too noisy!

Last response: in Components
June 17, 2012 9:13:02 PM

Hey guys :)  Not a big problem here, but just wanted to get some quality advice. I built my own computer about a year ago and it runs wonderfully. My only complaint is that it can be a bit noisy when it gets running. As I said, nothing too terribly awful about that, but for convenience sake I was wondering if there was an easy fix. I may have just not tightened my fan securely enough or something as simple as that, but I wasn't sure. It emits a hum that can be a bit annoying at times. It does seem to be coming from the fan, not the hard drive, so I don't believe the hard drive is in any kind of danger. Thanks for any and all responses, they are very much appreciated!

More about : cpu noisy

June 17, 2012 10:08:30 PM

Have you tried adjusting your fan RPM in BIOS or using a fan controller (software or hardware)? Sometimes a SLIGHT adjustment can make all the difference. Also, do you know what brand the fans are? Some are just loud by nature.
m
l
June 17, 2012 10:13:53 PM

Seredetia said:
Have you tried adjusting your fan RPM in BIOS or using a fan controller (software or hardware)? Sometimes a SLIGHT adjustment can make all the difference. Also, do you know what brand the fans are? Some are just loud by nature.

No I havent tried that. In fact, I didnt know you could! Im not sure what kind of fan it is, its just the stock fan that came with the case.
m
l
Related resources
June 17, 2012 10:24:23 PM

Is it the CPU fan or the case fans?
m
l
June 17, 2012 10:53:31 PM

Engima said:
Is it the CPU fan or the case fans?

At 1st glance I thought it to be the case fan, but looking at it more closely, I believe it is the CPU fan. Which worries me a bit =/ Could this result in a serious problem if it is the CPU fan?
m
l
June 18, 2012 12:26:50 AM

Usually a noise coming from a fan means that either something is wrong with the fan mechanism or that it is spinning really fast.

What CPU do you have? I would guess your using a stock cooler so that may be what is responsible for the noise. What temperatures are you also getting when the noise is heard?
m
l
June 18, 2012 12:49:36 AM

Engima said:
Usually a noise coming from a fan means that either something is wrong with the fan mechanism or that it is spinning really fast.

What CPU do you have? I would guess your using a stock cooler so that may be what is responsible for the noise. What temperatures are you also getting when the noise is heard?

That makes sense, it does appear to be spinning pretty fast. I have an AMD Phenom II Black Edition CPU. And that was the other problem, it does tend to get quite hot after running for a bit. Its in a pretty small room about the size of an average bathroom, and give it 45min or so and the whole room gets hot from the heat my computer produces. That being said, Ive made sure the computer has proper ventilation, and though it seems to produce a lot of heat, I don't think its OVER heating to the point of causing damage. Though the heat issue is something I would also like to fix if possible.
m
l
June 18, 2012 1:41:57 AM

Can you see what temperatures you're getting from HWMonitor? It's hard to know if your CPU is overheating if we don't have numbers.
m
l
June 18, 2012 3:51:16 AM

Engima said:
Can you see what temperatures you're getting from HWMonitor? It's hard to know if your CPU is overheating if we don't have numbers.

Would you mind explaining how I can record exact numbers? Im not sure how to do that.
m
l
June 18, 2012 12:04:26 PM

There's many programs on the internet that you can download and it'll work with your motherboard to read temperatures such as motherboard, CPU cores, hard drive, and graphics card temperatures. One program is called HWMonitor and it'll tell you all those I just mentioned. Download the program and do either a copy/paste or screenshot of what it displays.
m
l
June 18, 2012 3:44:29 PM

Sorry, yes, I assumed that you were speaking about case fans. If it is the fan over your CPU making the loud noises, it probably is due to excessive temperatures. You can also monitor that particular fan in BIOS, but an external monitor is probably better in this case. When you go into BIOS, the CPU is not allowed to idle. If it is running hot anyway, you do NOT want the CPU to overheat further.

Find out the temperatures and see if it is in range of what is acceptable. If your PC hasn't shut down from overheating, it may just be that you need a new/better cooler over your CPU.
m
l
June 18, 2012 8:35:33 PM

Engima said:
There's many programs on the internet that you can download and it'll work with your motherboard to read temperatures such as motherboard, CPU cores, hard drive, and graphics card temperatures. One program is called HWMonitor and it'll tell you all those I just mentioned. Download the program and do either a copy/paste or screenshot of what it displays.

Ok, great, I'll do that and get back to you guys.

m
l
June 18, 2012 8:36:46 PM

Seredetia said:
Sorry, yes, I assumed that you were speaking about case fans. If it is the fan over your CPU making the loud noises, it probably is due to excessive temperatures. You can also monitor that particular fan in BIOS, but an external monitor is probably better in this case. When you go into BIOS, the CPU is not allowed to idle. If it is running hot anyway, you do NOT want the CPU to overheat further.

Find out the temperatures and see if it is in range of what is acceptable. If your PC hasn't shut down from overheating, it may just be that you need a new/better cooler over your CPU.

Ya, my computer has never shut down from over heating to my knowledge, but it does get quite warm. Maybe a better cooling system is all I need.
m
l
June 18, 2012 8:47:44 PM

Ok, I got HWMonitor going, but I have two questions. One being, my comuter right now is relatively quiet and not doing much. Given a little while though, it will begin to heat up. Should I wait til then to record the info? And secondly, Im not sure how to copy the information to here. There doesn't seem to be anyway to copy/paste the image to here =/
m
l
June 19, 2012 1:41:17 AM

Can you just type in what the lowest temperature you get is and what the highest "warm" temperature is?
m
l
June 19, 2012 2:31:41 AM

Engima said:
Can you just type in what the lowest temperature you get is and what the highest "warm" temperature is?

Ok, so it says max temp for the CPU is 118 degrees Fahrenheit and Im consistently running between 103-112 degrees during its "hot" phase.
m
l
June 19, 2012 3:15:09 AM

Your temperatures are fine but that stock cooler is probably working pretty hard to keep your CPU cool to those temperatures. You can do what I did with my 965 and get an aftermarket cooler or just live with the noise.
m
l
June 19, 2012 4:08:03 AM

Engima said:
Your temperatures are fine but that stock cooler is probably working pretty hard to keep your CPU cool to those temperatures. You can do what I did with my 965 and get an aftermarket cooler or just live with the noise.

Picking up a new cooler shouldn't cost too much right? Unless I wanted to get a mac daddy water cooler or whatever.
m
l
June 19, 2012 12:01:15 PM

Can you list your computer specs? If you want the best value for your money then a Hyper 212 EVO or Hyper 212+ is what you should aim for, especially if they are on sale.
m
l
June 19, 2012 5:02:50 PM

Engima said:
Can you list your computer specs? If you want the best value for your money then a Hyper 212 EVO or Hyper 212+ is what you should aim for, especially if they are on sale.

Here's my specs:
Mobo: GA-M68MT-S2P
Processor: AMD Phenom II Black Edition Multi-Core Processor
Hard Drive: WD Caviar 500GB Serial ATA HD
Video Card: GeForce GTX460 made by Nvidia
Case: Thermaltake Dokker
Power Supply: eXtreme Power 500w RS-500-PCAR-A3
RAM: Patriot PSD34G13332

m
l
June 21, 2012 6:51:56 PM

Good news! Picked up the Hyper 212 Plus and so far, its working like a charm!! Thanks so much for the help and advice!
m
l
!