jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012
I just build a brand new gaming system but I have a pretty functional last generation computer. I could run BF3 and Skyrim on high and it pretty much maxed every game from 09' and before at it. I don't know what to do with it as I'm sure I couldn't get much on ebay for it and as lame as it sounds I'm pretty sentimental about it. Any suggestions?

The rig has the following specs:

QX9650
GTX295
8Gb DDR2 Ram
Gigabyte ud45 motherboard
850 watt corsair psu
Zalman 90mm cpu cooler
1 Gb Seagate barracuda
Apevia Tower

The QX9650 is still a respectable processor and has overclocking headroom. Assuming you are at stock speeds, you can stretch this PC's life with an overclock of 3.5+ GHz. Some report getting much closer to 4.0GHz... You would need an aftermarket CPU cooler, but that is cheap (Hyper 212 EVO). That is about the only thing I would do and would start planning an Ivy Bridge build in a year or so.

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

I bit the bullet and went with a 3820 last week.

Yup I am building a windows 8 server out of my old q9400 as we speak it was my gaming PC OC to 3.8 for 3 years. I am going to run at stock in my server for power reasons but I want to play with server 8 and need to replace my old dual core server. Set it up with something like Tversity and bam media server for your xbox and PS3 quad should be able to transcode on the fly good stuff..

Thent

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
fizzle, let go of it bro, just cut the cord, LOL, I have a very similar rig and i know exactly what you're talking aboot (not from Canada, just wanted to say that) but when the time comes, I'll need to get rid of mine to help pay for the new platform i get...

boomermage

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
I'm actually in the same boat. One kind of cool option that I'm going to do is to buy a new case and make a Home theater PC. They make cases for full size atx boards and cards.