[New Build] Buying This Weekend. Any last minute changes? ($1,000 rig)

ksteven813

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
I had excellent help from many members on this forum! I thank all of you! From gathering all their help and support, I came up with this rig:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19737346

The case and dvd player will be a combo and I will save $12 there.

I want to double check and make sure everything is compatible with each other. This is my first build.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

If everything looks good, I should be buying Saturday or Sunday!

Solution
That looks like an excellent build. My only suggestion would be to cut back on the case (maybe go with the HAF 922) and invest the $70 difference in upgrading your GPU to a 560TI but other than that it looks really good.

I'm not the biggest fan of Intel-branded boards but they do have unbelievable longevity. The D975 board I have is still running strong after 6+ years of owning it. Alternately you might want to consider the board I use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128506

g-unit1111

Titan
That looks like an excellent build. My only suggestion would be to cut back on the case (maybe go with the HAF 922) and invest the $70 difference in upgrading your GPU to a 560TI but other than that it looks really good.

I'm not the biggest fan of Intel-branded boards but they do have unbelievable longevity. The D975 board I have is still running strong after 6+ years of owning it. Alternately you might want to consider the board I use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128506

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan

That's the exact same one I would suggest. I pretty much use EVGA exclusively for NVIDIA cards.

ksteven813

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
So what does that mobo gunit provided have that Intel doesn't?

I don't mind spending a little extra on parts. but I really like that case so I am definately getting that lol.

How many more frame rates could I average out more with that nvidia card?

thanks for your replies!!!

ksteven813

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
So I looked around at the different graphics cards and decided to stick with the graphics card I chose, the 6870, because I do not mind playing games on low-medium if I have to. And I may be upgrading by the end of the year.

I would still like to know what the difference is in the mobos?

g-unit1111

Titan

Gigabyte has a bit better brand reliability plus it has features that Intel doesn't including ability to use higher RAM speeds and UEFI BIOS.

Oh and do I hook up the hdmi to the monitor with the graphics card or the mobo?

You hook up through the GPU instead of the onboard video - and if you use a GPU you can disable the onboard video in the BIOS on the Gigabyte board with a couple of clicks.

Darth415

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
No, most boards don't have both. It is generally accepted that ASus makes the best motherboards, and many of their models support Bluetooth. If you want wifi, you can get a pci-express wifi card that will probably outperform the intel wifi anyway.

padraigm_02

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

I think you should be patient if the reviews are poor. The combo savings are not worth the hassle in RMA, time, delay, frustration and possibly money.

Good luck

ksteven813

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
I mean it has good reviews and bad reviews. But every mobo I looked at had the same good and bad reviews. So i am just going to go for it on that.

Will that wireless adapter work good that I picked?