Do I need a graphics card for video editing?

jeriel05

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I started to use roxio creator pro 2012 for video editing. For the most part the videos look good but sometimes a little choppy and slightly off sync. Would a graphics card help with this issue? If so would there be a solution uder $100? Im not a gamer so I dont want to go for some really high end card unless necessary.

Intel i5 2500k
16 gb G.skill ripjaws DDR3 1600

COLGeek

Cybernaut
So, I assume you are using the on-board (a.k.a. integrated graphics) on your motherboard, is that correct?

For editing, you don't have to have a discrete (stand-alone) video card, but it can help. For playback, it will also help quite a bit.

What format are you encoding the video into?

smu_eric

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
"For playback, it will also help quite a bit."

Does this mean that having a discrete graphics card helps with the playback of videos in general on the web, such as playing youtube videos, or playing streaming videos from sites like NBC.com, for example? I am also trying to decide if I should get a laptop with a discrete graphics card, or if the integrated graphics are fine. I do not do any gaming, but I watch lots of videos from youtube and sites like NBC/ABC/CBS.com. Would I notice an increase in video quality by having a discrete graphics card?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Yes, you would see an overall improvement in all video playback. The suggested HD5570 or HD6570 would be great choices for a solid all-around general purpose video card.

Good luck!

smu_eric

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
"Yes, you would see an overall improvement in all video playback. The suggested HD5570 or HD6570 would be great choices for a solid all-around general purpose video card."

Really, that's interesting. From other research I've done, it seemed I would not need one for my useage, but I always suspected that one would be beneficial even in my case. Because of budget concerns, I can't splurge too much, so do you think I would be better off going with an i5 laptop with a discrete card, or an i7 with only the integrated graphics. Both machines have 6 GB of RAM. Again, my useage is no video games and no video editing, only general web browsing, streaming office applications like streaming stock charts, and watching lots of videos from youtube and sites like NBC/ABC/CBS.com.

smu_eric

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
"I suggest you to get a lower profile card like the Sapphire hd 5570.It is good for video editing and for some casual gaming."

Really, that's interesting. From other research I've done, it seemed I would not need one for my useage, but I always suspected that one would be beneficial even in my case. Because of budget concerns, I can't splurge too much, so do you think I would be better off going with an i5 laptop with a discrete card, or an i7 with only the integrated graphics. Both machines have 6 GB of RAM. Again, my useage is no video games and no video editing, only general web browsing, streaming office applications like streaming stock charts, and watching lots of videos from youtube and sites like NBC/ABC/CBS.com.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
When you compare overall performance, including video playback and streaming, a discrete video card (equal to or greater to an on-board video card) will always out-perform the on-board solution. Keep in mind the difference between dedicated memory and shared memory in this argument as well.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

If you read the entire thread, you would see that is what the OP needs or was asking about. This is not a laptop discussion. Thanks for your input though.