Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Output 2 Different audio signals to 2 different outputs

Last response: in Components
June 17, 2012 10:00:46 PM

I'm in the process of upgrading my computer and getting it to function as both a media center (HTPC) for my TV and a gaming computer with different audio tracks playing through the TV and the Computer speakers/headset at the same time. I have done some research and have heard rumors that it is possible with 2 sound cards (on-board and standalone PCI card), but I was looking to have some confirmation of this if any one has successfully pulled this off.

Let me explain further (to clarify if I was confusing). I would like to be able to have my girlfriend watching a movie on the TV with the movie sound playing through the TV, while at the same time I would like to play a game on my computer with the sound outputting to my headset/speakers.

I recently purchased a Xonar DG for output to my computer speakers for my games, while I plan on using the HDMI connection (and on board sound card) to pipe the movie and sound to the TV.

I believe that I will just have to select the output device through VLC/XBMC to pipe the video to the TV and leave the default sound output as the video card.

For reference I have the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 mobo

And I have a Galaxy 560 Ti 448 Core GPU

Running with Windows 7 and a i5 2500k, stock speed.

Will this work? Any tips? Have you successfully done this?

Best solution

a b x TV
June 19, 2012 2:10:55 AM

I'm not sure if you even need the Xonar. If you pump tv audio via VLC>HDMI that normally uses the video soundcard and from there you can use the integrated soundcard to play your games thru.
June 19, 2012 6:10:47 AM

popatim said:
I'm not sure if you even need the Xonar. If you pump tv audio via VLC>HDMI that normally uses the video soundcard and from there you can use the integrated soundcard to play your games thru.

Honestly, I thought that might be the case. I just kinda bought the sound card on a whim after getting fed up with fooling around with it for awhile. Hopefully it makes it fairly easy to set everything up in the end, but I believe you are correct, and I probably should return the Xonar, (though the increased sound quality, if any, might be worth keeping). Thanks for the help!
m
l
June 26, 2012 12:36:23 AM

Best answer selected by cagedchimp.
m
l
!