Sign in with
Your question

Loud GPU fan

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 31, 2011 2:12:56 AM

my ATI radeon 4850 hd runs really loud when i play MW2 and it goes absolutly crazy loud when i set the resolution anywhere above 840x600. even that resolution sucks i know but when i played MW1 it was silent on 840x600 and kindof loud above that. i tried 1600 just to see and my computer just shut off and there was no error report when restarting, just a message in the boot saying if i want to start in safe mode or not. i know its actually a decent card but it shouldnt work that hard for those types of settings. i even set the textures all on low. so this sucks :(  even when im typing a discussion likes this its pretty annoying and im scared its gonna fry or smthn

More about : loud gpu fan

a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 2:19:11 AM

What exact card do you have?

The reference design HD4850 used a very cheap, very poor "cooling" unit that was very noisey.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 2:33:07 AM

How long have you had the card. I have had cards in the past work just fine and one day noise. The fan is on its way out and if it is under warranty then take it back. If the fan isn't running right it will cause higher temps.

There is a lot of different things that cause a fan to go bad. One of them is heat, that was my case with my fan. On some cards you can't fix the fan. They do have fans on line that slip over cards like a glove. Good luck to you Just food for thought.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2011 11:41:57 PM

If you want to keep the card, and want silent operation. I'd recommend the Zalman VF1000. It's not cheap, but it's near silent and very effective. It does require a reference design PCB though, as will nearly all "aftermarket" coolers.
m
l
January 1, 2012 11:19:33 PM

the card came with my studio xps 435mt when we bought it like 2 years ago and its exact model is the ATI radeon HD 4850. heres the link it. https://www.allproductsinternet.com/product.php?product.... im just tired of my computer shutting off in the middle of a match and i cant open the computer and clean it because cuz my parents wont let me screw with the computer. i might just get a ps3 or xbox cuz its a pain in the u know what to get this computer to do anything without SOME problem.
m
l
January 1, 2012 11:20:37 PM

and even when i updated the BIOS to the newest version, all the fans became even louder and stay on always.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
January 1, 2012 11:42:31 PM

If your card is causing your rig to to crash It could be because you haven't been able to clean out your system for two years like you said. The hot temps plus dust on everything it is a wonder it runs at all. We I wish you the best of luck.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2012 11:46:51 PM

You can download Afterburner from MSI or Guru3D and lower the fan speeds manually or set up a custom fan profile.
m
l
January 2, 2012 12:13:11 AM

no i have cleaned it, even the graphics card about a month ago but im saying they wont let me do anymore cuz they think its gonna break if i do too much.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 1:01:27 AM

The card you linked to in your last post has the reference cooler on it....which was complete garbage. Replace the reference cooler with something like the Zalman VF1000 and your temps will decrease drastically, as will the fan noise.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 1:11:41 AM

If your parents won't let you then do anymore with it then there isn't much more we can do here. I would recomend taking it into a shop or buying a new card. Good luck to you and I hope you can get it fixed.
m
l
January 2, 2012 5:45:46 PM

could it be my PSU because it shuts off without warning right after my card's fan goes crazy and changes speeds within a split second
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 5:55:47 PM

Just clean the card and make sure that it doesn't overheat.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2012 2:45:07 AM

Download GPU-Z and regularly check the temperature of the card during usage. If the card exceeds 105C, it'll shutdown to protect itself.
m
l
January 7, 2012 4:28:34 PM

yea this thing idles at 84 and goes to 106 then shuts my computer down . but the thing is clean i mean i dont see any dust or air blockage. it reaches 106 like within 10 minutes of playing cod mw2
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 4:59:44 PM

Well there are some ATI/AMD cards that fail in this manner that they are clean and working normally then out of the blue are suddenly are running over 90c+ with reduced performance ect. RMA the card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 6:58:36 PM

sketch22 said:
yea this thing idles at 84 and goes to 106 then shuts my computer down . but the thing is clean i mean i dont see any dust or air blockage. it reaches 106 like within 10 minutes of playing cod mw2

The reference cooler is NOT sufficient to keep the cards cool in a typical computer case. If you have the card installed in a pre-built system (Dell, HP, Gateway, NEC, Acer, etc) it's going to continue doing this.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 8:13:56 PM

If you are idling at 84c then there is something very wrong with your card. I am supprised that you haven't burned it up and on the other hand you just might of done so. For some reason you aren't getting any air flow through the case. It might be time to get another card and beef up the air flow.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 10:27:44 PM

DM186 said:
If you are idling at 84c then there is something very wrong with your card. I am supprised that you haven't burned it up and on the other hand you just might of done so. For some reason you aren't getting any air flow through the case. It might be time to get another card and beef up the air flow.

The problem with his card is the fact it uses the reference cooler....which I stated a few posts ago....
m
l
!